Would a Towbar put you off buying ?

Teatime

I was looking at buying a new car and then I noticed a towbar. Is that a good or bad thing ? I am imagining the previous owner lugging around a trailer or boat.

It would be unlikely to put me off, but one needs to use a little judgement. In general, people do not tow things that are too heavy, and do no damage to the car.

Depends on the car. If it is a light engined car I would avoid.

Towbars can be a good way of avoiding damage if you reverse into something or someone else nudges you.

I have had a towbar on all my cars.
At most I use it to pull a small car trailer maybe to carry some rubbish to the dump or recycling centre or to carry a long ladder. Max use 10 times per year.
On occasions it has proved useful while parking:eek:.
It wouldn't put me off buying a car, indeed I usually negotiate with the garage to have one fitted.

I suggest you talk to the previous owner of the car and ask them straight up what they used the hitch for. What are their hobbies, boating or caravaning?

Depends, some people do not pull anything with a tow bar some people pull too much.

It might just be used to hold bycycles. I was of the opinion of not buying a car with a tow bar now I think it's a great advantage since I started to use mine for carrying mountain bikes. Have the car checked out before you buy. All my cars from now on will have a tow bar.

Skoda Octavia. 1.9 diesel.

Well I'd certainly be happier buying a diesel with a towbar than a petrol.

Although if the car is otherwise in poorish condition (e.g. little scratches/dents etc) it might indicate that the owner didn't care too much what they pulled.

If general condition is good and services regular I wouldn't be too worried.

Skoda Octavia. 1.9 diesel.

That would seem to me a car that would be pretty well suited to towing, provided the loads weren't too heavy, so I wouldn't be unduly worried.

For example it gets good reviews on whattowcar.com

[broken link removed]

Still no harm to get it checked out by a mechanic and to have a word with the previous owner just for your own peace of mind.

Back