Would a tenant have rights of a house if renting for over 8 years

N

nevsha

Hi,
I bought a house over eight years ago as an investment as I am self employed. I have had the same tenents for that duration. They have been fantastic. They even offered to buy the house at one stage which I refused as it is a long term investment project.
I was only wondering at this stage would my tenants have any rights now of the house?

Thank-you

what do you mean as rights?? As to buy the house from you or something, force you to sell?

Tenants do have rights, but at the end of the day it is your house. You cant just evict them for no reason, but if you planned to either sell the house, move into it yourself or they gave you reason to evict them ( not likely after 8 years of being fantastic ) then if you did it all legally then they would have to move out.

Are you maybe thinking of other stories. I remember a while back there was a plot of land in I think the Ballymum area that was owned by the council, but a family had been living on this land for like 20 years without the council doing anything, it was eventually ruled that the family did have rights to this land because they had been allowed to live their for so long. this is totally different to what situation you have, so dont worry.

Tenants in residential properties have no rights to perpetual leases or anything like that until they have been in situ at least 20 years. If you wish to seel a property tenants must be given adequate notice, but cannot legally refuse to leave. Some get notions of "payoffs" etc. which you need to be ready for.

Check out info on Part 4 tenancies/security of tenure on www.prtb.ie
There's also info on the Citizen's Advice website.
May be what you have in mind.

Back