Worry about selling car privately

babydays

I'm trying to sell a car through the likes of cbg, carzone etc and am not getting far - only one expression of interest in 3 weeks. I've had a much lower offer from garages and am just going to give it one more week before I sell to the garage (3K difference - which is a lot for me).

In the meantime, someone is due to come out this week to view the car. Browsing these pages about how to be sure you get paid I saw that bank-drafts are recommended. (see link below) but on another page (can't find it again!) I read that although a bank draft can be lodged and cleared by the bank that weeks later it can bounce (???) and that I would be liable for that amount???? Can anyone shed light on this for me- I don't get this?

Secondly, how would a genuine purchaser agree to give a bank draft and wait until I lodge it before they get the car? Is that not trusting of the purchaser?

Any advice gratefully received!!!

---------------------------------------------

Key post:A guide to selling your car
http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=120880

Making sure you get paid when selling your car:

• Take cash only
  • Accept cheques or bank-drafts and lodge them for "express clearance" and only part with the car, keys and paper-work after you get confirmation from the bank that money is value-dated in your account.
Removing the last of your property from your former car:

The only surefire way to sell a car safely is for the buyer to meet you at your bank, during business hours. The buyer hands the money over in the bank, you pay it straight in, the teller counts and validates it and gives you back a stamped lodgement docket. After this you hand over the keys and paperwork. All verified and on CCTV.

Be very wary of purchasers who want to pay cash over the weekend (they know an address which has a large amount of cash in it) or who, having agreed to meet you at the bank, are suddenly "running late" and want to meet you out of business hours. You could end up with no car, no money and some bruises or worse for your trouble.

SSE

Back