worried about the future question re dole

PaulyB63

Hi I'm self employed and wife is at home minding the kids. She was employed until May of last year when her contract ran out. She didn't look for a new job as she was pregnant and eligible to get maternity benefit from date employment ceased. We have 2 children and when we worked out how much she would take home after paying creche fees we decided it would be better if she didn't go back to work and minded the kids herself. We have an agreement that if things get bad for my business then she will look for a job and I will mind kids but as this recession is taking hold there doesnt seem to be many jobs out there. We live in a rural area with shops closing in the town everyday. My question is that if things get bad for me and my wife can't find a job would she and I be able to claim dole seeing how she chose not to work in past and I have been in self employment for 2 years?

If I need to supply more detail, let me know...

Thanks in advance...

Re: worried about the future q re dole

Thanks for the reply. Lots of useful info in that link.

Have a good w/e....

If the roles have now switched and she is the one who is actively seeking work and available for work (because you will be looking after the children) I can't see why she would not be eligible for Jobseekers Benefit while in search of work.
Has she sufficient PRSI contributions in 2007. If so go to SW and apply. Remember she may not be able to do so in 2010 as she would have a 2 year break in her record

Back