world vision charity door to door callers

NeedingHelp

I just had two very nice characters call asking me to sponsor a child in Tanzania for 25 euro a month. I had been considering doing this in 2009 anyway as I have a year old son and I realise how lucky we are and want him to grow up appreciating his life and helping someone else in theirs. I filled out all the paperwork except for the direct debit instruction from my credit union. They have left this with me and will phone me later for the account number to complete the paperwork. I really want to do this and all the paperwork looks right but I am uncomfortable with giving out my account details. Has anyone else had experience of this door to door technique. Should I give the details over the phone?

World Vision Ireland have apparently engaged the services of a 3rd-party door-to-door collection firm since late last year to collect on their behalf. You can verify the credentials of the callers (who should carry all the relevant ID's) by calling World Vision Ireland at 1850 366 28.

No connection with either organisation - I ran a check for a family member last year.

I'm not comfortable with the concept of charities hiring 3rd parties to call door to door. When I see the tactics used by 'chuggers' in the city centre I wouldn't like to see someone vunerable being approached on their doorstep by them.
Is there a code of conduct for charities? Is this permitted?

World Vision and Concern are the same.

A huge amount of money is collected by professional chuggers and most of it goes to pay them.

Donate to organizations which use voluntary collectors.

Brendan

My info is quite old and does not relate to World Vision, but you can draw your own conclusions wrt 3rd party collectors. I had an acquaintance who did street collections for 3rd parties on behalf of collectors. This is what he said happened:

For every Euro collected, the 3rd party took 50c as profit , the collector got 20c, 10c went to the 3rd party for admin expenses , leaving just 20c for the charity. This method of collection gave poor return for the charity, but it was 20c that would otherwise not be collected by the charity. Maybe the 3rd party you're dealing with isn't as heavy on the charges, but you can be sure they're not doing this for free.

I now refuse to give anything on the streets, unless I am 100% confident that ALL of the donation goes to the charity.

If you want to sponsor a child through [broken link removed], my advice is to do it directly.

Back