World Championships of Performing Arts-Questions

roro123

Hi,
Sorry about the length but I do not wish to name the "Agency" involved- nod to the boards posting guidelines
My kid attends a local " Talent/Musical/Dancing" type group, and as there was a bit of hype amongst her peers, she put the lean on us to let her attend.
I have no issue with what she is "learning" as regards the singing,dancing etc.
But she arrived home this afternoon with a bunch of letters telling her that she has been chosen to represent Ireland in the "World Championships of Performing Arts". This sounds amazing and like a dream come through for her and she was insane with excitement that she was selected.
After she stopped speaking at 100 miles an hour, we asked her what was the story and why was she selected? (Shes 10 years old & has been attending for 5 weeks).
Anyway she showed us the letters which were not address to us but were " To whom it may concern" etc.
Basically it seems that my child is so absolutely amazingly talented after 5 weeks of attending this group that she has been selected to be on the Irish team and will be going to Los Angelus California in July 2009 where she will get all sorts of opportunities to showcase her talent infront of Record Co. Execs, Casting Directors, Talent Managers, "Modelling agencies!", etc. She will also be able to attend invaluable seminars, master classes that will aid towards furthering their own career back home.
Sounds Fantastic doesn't it.
Well as I read it tells me that my daughter has " a very well earned place on this tremendously talented 2009 delegation and it would be a crime for an issue like finance to stand in these young performers way!"
The estimated cost for this is €2500 for 7 days.
The rest is just filler.

Some of my own opinions/observations
How is my kid so talented all of a sudden ( I know, I know all kids are special... but seriously)?
Why have we not been contacted as parents in advance to advise us that our kid is great and she will be asked ( if thats ok with the parents ) to go to Los Angelus.
If my child is a million miles away in Los Angelus without her parents, what adults will be in contact with/responsible for her, and do we need to make sure that they have been properly vetted to work with kids?
Where am I going to get €2500 from?
What is she going to get out of it?
How do you deal with a kid who loves you on a Saturday morning as she toddles off to her singing group but hates your guts in the afternoon and tells you that we are ruining her life and she'll never get an opportunity like this again ( tears and shouting included)
So now that I am the worst parent in the world for gently telling my kid that it may not be possible for her to go to Los Angelus next July as we may not have the money for her, ( she told me she would save up her pocket money and do chores ), can anyone tell me are we being unfair?
Should the Performing Arts group organisers hype these kids up with unrealistic dreams and demands only to destroy this families weekend with each other?
Does this sound like an ethical way to treat kids?
Should my kid not maybe prove her worth in Leinster/Ireland Championships first before she gets selected for the Irish Team for the World Championships?
Dare I say this is an unethical use of pester power to further squeeze money out of cash strapped parents?

Has any other parents on the board had this to deal with?
I'd like to hear any feedback from last years amazingly talented kids parents, or views from parents who may have intentions or not of sending their kids in 2009?

Thanks for the eartime
roro

Hi roro

You should speak to the other parents and see if they are all being targeted like this, which I assume they are.

If they are and if you are unhappy with the practice, then you should all take your kids out of the group.

Brendan

From this website, it looks as if Irish kids won an amazing 15 World Championship medals last year. It's quite extraordinary that this has not been covered in the media to any extent. That is even better than our performance in the Special Olympics!

Back