Workshop Manuals

turner

Does anyone have or know where I can get a Workshop Manual for the 1987 Toyota Carina 2 Diesel. I have this for the past 22 years - never in the garage - 300,000 miles. A few minor things now require looking at and if I had a manual I am sure I could keep it going for another 20 years .

Haynes manual (not great but better than nothing) from Halfords, Easons or other motor factors / bookshop?

Illustrations / photographs are poorly reproduced and can be confusing

Not all options fitted to certain cars are covered (e.g. brakes / transmissions)

Manufacturer's part numbers are not referenced, instead they use the generic references (Lucas, Bosch, etc)

Commonly-known work-arounds are not included (e.g. the myth that you need to remove front-bumpers to change light-bulbs on certain VAG models continues). IMO, these are the very things most useful to an enthuiastic DIYer.

IME, torque settings listed for fasteners need to be checked carefully, having broken upper suspension mounting bolts (twice !! - yeah I know, those who can do, those who can't, preach :) )

I agree with Mathepac, Haynes are alright but can lead you to think something is easwier than it then turns out to be and not give any help.

Bentley manuals (BY the publishing company Bentley, not FOR Bentley cars:)) are much better IMO.

Manufacturer's part numbers are not referenced, instead they use the generic references (Lucas, Bosch, etc)

Perhaps because they are written for the home mechanic who might be more likely to go to their local motor factors for small replacement parts than to the parts department of the main dealer?

Back