Workplace Healthcheck - compulsory?

shesells

My OH has been in his current role for over a decade with the same company. At no stage in this time has there ever been any medical, not even the eye test for computer based work that is included in the law.

Anyway, last week a letter arrived at home (not at work which is a little odd) to say that the company were organising workplace healthchecks for everyone and to reply with his preference of 4 weeks for this to take place. It's an outside company who would be doing this. The letter states that the results will be confidential but the company's website speaks of providing management with a health profile for the company.

The only mention in his contract has to do with extended sick leave - whereby you can be asked to attend a doctor nominated by the company after 4 weeks. This is not the case. In speaking with his colleagues they all seem to have got a letter.

Citizens information website http://bit.ly/xLiTYT indicates that employees should "undergo any reasonable medical or other assessment if requested to do so by the employer" but links to section 13 of the 2005 Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Act 2005 which states
(b) ensure that he or she is not under the influence of an intoxicant to the extent that he or she is in such a state as to endanger his or her own safety, health or welfare at work or that of any other person,

(c) if reasonably required by his or her employer, submit to any appropriate, reasonable and proportionate tests for intoxicants by, or under the supervision of, a registered medical practitioner who is a competent person, as may be prescribed,
http://bit.ly/yHAVW0 which would indicate that the only obligation is in the case of tests for alcohol/drugs.

Is he within his rights to refuse to take up this healthcheck? We have a good relationship with our GP and our health insurer provides discounted healthchecks every 2 years and we feel this is sufficient.

Last edited:
I think you are ovre reacting. I don't see what the problem is. Urine tests involve peeing into a jar in the loo; not that big a deal.

That's not really my main point. My question is can his employer force him to have this quite detailed medical checkup which involves giving specific personal information.

Would [broken link removed] people be able to give advice on his rights in this situation?

Why would you not want a medical? A lot of symptoms are picked up through these medicals especially as men will rarely go for a check up unless pushed.

Why would you not want a medical? A lot of symptoms are picked up through these medicals especially as men will rarely go for a check up unless pushed.

Many companies do health checks but the important point is that they are not compulsory. You do state though that this test is not confirmed as either compulsory or voluntary.

As it is not a pre-employment medical IMHO the company would be out of order if it were compulsory. Unless he is in a health/medical position he should not be forced to supply bloods against his wishes. Many people have a phobia about needles and would find this stressful.

"The letter states that the results will be confidential but the company's website speaks of providing management with a health profile for the company"

This would indicate though that the individual results will not be provided to the company but merely an overall indicator.

The things people fuss about!, a free health check , likely to cost 500euro or more andmay save a life!
duh

Thanks for all the replies. Am glad to hear it's not compulsory. He will also be.

Yes a free healthcheck sounds like a tempting idea but there's significant internal politics at play and there's more to this move than beats the eye. And so we will avail of the discounted healthcheck from our medical insurance provider where we are confident that all is above board.

Back