working with disadvantaged people

evanne

Hi there folks, was just wondering if anyone could give me advice on how to move into this area. At the moment I work in recruitment. There is money in it but very little satisfaction. In fact I hate it and just want to get out! I enjoy the people side of the job but the sales aspect is killing me. Its just more,more,more & I just don't care anymore. What I would love to do is work with disadvanted people in the area of employment ie: helping unemployed people back into the workforce, or dis-abled people. Could anyone help? Is there any particular quals you need? I have about 4 years recruitment experience and I am good :)
My heart is just not in it anymore and as cliched as it sounds, I just wanna do something worthwhile...
Thanks

Would you consider doing some voluntary work first to get a feel for the area you are hoping to move into? It might be better to dip your toe before you jump in. I think you do need to be cut out to work with disadvantaged people ... to deal with the lack of resources and the frustration of being underfunded and over stretched. If it were me I would get involved with something that really interests me in my own area such as adult literacy, meals on wheels, leisure buddies, enable ireland etc. and take it from there.

Second what Henny Penny says about trying out volunteering first. Be prepared for a pay cut in you decide to get a paid job. Check out www.activelink.ie for volunteering and job opportunities in the voluntary sector.

Would agree with what Sarahmc says. I am currently working in a community development project and for 8 years before this i worked with drug misusers.......yes the work can be rewarding(defo not finacially :) ) but it takes a lot out of you and also your family......alot of late nights and can be very upsetting/unrewarding.........remember not everybody wants "a bloody do gooder" around the place........i know it can be hard to volunteer also as most places look for day-timers. Best advice is to decide what area of work you want to get into i.e. youth, elderly, drug users, community development etc and then contact a local agency to see if they want volunteers. What ever you decide best of luck and you get the job satisfaction you are looking for

You might also talk to people doing just this in Rehab for disabled people. There's a place called Roslyn Park in Sandymount. Thsy might also be able to tell you what kind of qualifications would help you earn a decent salary. If you work for the HSE they're usually good about funding study.

If job security is important - look out for something on the Govt side - but I don't think there are too many positions out there for generalists, i.e. those without specific qualifications in the area. Have you considered going back to college to study in a relevant area?

I've taken a substantial pay cut to move from a private sector IT role into a public sector area not a million miles away from the stuff you are talking about. I'm pretty pleased with my decision so far, though it is probably too early to be definitive.

thanks for all your advice folks. Rainyday I have thought about going back to college and studying. The area that I think I would find most rewarding is working with Disabled people in the area of training/employment.
I don't have any quals in this area so I'm not sure how to get into it?! Have you any advice on this?

Can I also suggest you do some voluntary work first, just to get a feel if this is right for you? There are plenty of volunteering opportunities out there and I find this website excellent - it may even give you ideas for areas you haven't thought of! (see "Current Opportunities" in their "I Want to Volunteer" section)
http://www.volunteeringireland.com/

evanne said:
thanks for all your advice folks. Rainyday I have thought about going back to college and studying. The area that I think I would find most rewarding is working with Disabled people in the area of training/employment.
I don't have any quals in this area so I'm not sure how to get into it?! Have you any advice on this?
There are a number of training courses on Disability issues - Check out UCD & St Pat's Maynooth. Or perhaps you could try moving into the public sector in a HR/recruitment role, and use that as a stepping stone to a training role. Don't forget that a lot of the hands-on work is done by the NGO's, some of whom are very large organisations.

Hi folks, well isn't strange what the universe gives you once you've made a decision :) Speaking to a friend of mine recently about this and his friend works in the area of supported employement.And he just happens to be looking for someone with a commercial/sales background to work with him :) I'm sooooo excited about this, nothing concrete but Its out there now- Wish me luck :)

well congrats evanne and i hope this job gives you all the satisfaction you are looking for. Best of luck

to all you who gave me advice on this subject, I just wanted to say a big thank you:) I received a letter on Monday to say I was succesful in my interview and have been offered a permanent position (within the disabilty sector). all the clearance and references have come back good, so I will be handing in my notice to my present employer on Tuesday (Hopefully).
Thanks again folks....:D

Congrats and fair play to you. I think what you have done is very brave of you. Alot of people drift through life complaining of their circumstance ( which they are responsible for ) and never do anything about it. But you had the courage to make the change. I really commend you and wish you all the best for the future.

I don't want to start a fight but racso said...
remember not everybody wants "a bloody do gooder" around the place
then he said
Best advice is to decide what area of work you want to get into i.e. youth, elderly, drug users, community development etc

This didn't sit right with me. It's also as if you (plural) woke up one day ad decided I'm going to help <insert prejudice> to be 'better'.

Now that I've said it, I'll have to think what my alternative is!

Back