Working Tax Credits

J

jy2009

hi to all! i am working 30 hours and pick up £210 per week gross rate. do i qualify for working tax credit? i am single and have no dependents under 21.

if i do qualify for tax credit, what about help with rent, council tax and dental costs?

many thanks to all!

This is an irish site, so we dont have tax credits.

But you can use this http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/tools/taxcredits_qualify/question01.htm

It takes around 4-5 mins to fill in and will let you know if you are entitled to anything.

What dentals costs are you referring to? We have the NHS? Even without having an NSH card it's very cheap.

Rent and council tax will take into account all your earnings. You will need to contact them directly and ask, or at least enquire about the maximum rates in you area as they are all different. Without knowing these, there is no way of knowing just going by your income.

many thanks samantha jane!!!

the UK rent service state a rent of £364.00 for a home like mine in my area. the actual rent is £495.00 per month.

I've not heard of the UK rent service. Is that linked to your council? If not i would double check with them as their figures may differ.

Going by your wages you migh be entitled to some help with your rent and council rates, but this would depend what working tax you got ( if any, did you fill out the on-line form? did it say you would be entitled? )

Again with the rent it will factor in where abouts you live. They have different allowances for different area's.

hi samantha jane, hope things are well over in ireland? sorry, the rent service has now been rerplaced by .

yes! the questionares both reckon i will qualify for working tax credit. why do they ask for information regarding your earnings for the previous tax year?

my situation is unusal in the sense that my salary for this tax year was in the region of £4,980.00 up to end of june. i was offered a new position at 30 hours @ £210 per week and i need to know if help is available.

thanks for your help.

Thats just the way the figure it on going on your previous year. It's to help prevent fraud, they cross check with the revenue.

Even if you earned 50k last tax year and your circumstances changed you would still be entitled.

You will have to explain how you are paying that rent and all your bills just on your wages. I can imagine it's leaving you a bit tight.

Remember they can do a credit check on you and see all the accounts that you have so make sure you mention everything that you have. Including savings accounts and isa if you have on. They include all of your savings that you have when assesing a claim.

I'm a bit confused over your salary? £4,980 what perios is this from and up to?

i started working for this company in february, @ £500 per week. the area of work that i was doing has now been mothballed and they offered me another position at the beginning of july. i took it and now i am down to £210 per week.

the UK tax year started april 6th and since that date to close of june i earned approx £6,480.00 gross.

You will need to explaine that to them cause all they will see is that you were earning 500 a week lat year. I'm sure alot of other people are in the same boat having reduced hours and wages so this wont be a new thing to them. For this case they will just go by what you are actually recieving now.

Next year you could get slightly less ( but not a huge amount ) since for the first 3 months you were on a higher wage. they will average it out.

Back