Working part-time and signing on for days not working

STEINER

A friend of mine works part-time and up to December signed on and got Jobseekers Benefit for the 2 or 3 non-working days every week. Without any notification, payment ceased in January and friend has been puzzled by the ending of the JB payment. He was told that he used up all his PRSI contributions so doesn't qualify for any more JB.

As he continues to work 3 days a week, does this not maintain his PRSI credits?

Friend reapplied in Jan for JB. Reply from DSP received recently saying JB has been refused. Reason given is that a substantial loss of earnings/days has not occurred, ie over the last 6 months or so employment has been consistent at 3 days per week and no JB will be paid for the days not worked.

Does anyone understand the logic of this?

A friend of mine works part-time and up to December signed on and got Jobseekers Benefit for the 2 or 3 non-working days every week. Without any notification, payment ceased in January and friend has been puzzled by the ending of the JB payment. He was told that he used up all his PRSI contributions so doesn't qualify for any more JB.

As he continues to work 3 days a week, does this not maintain his PRSI credits?

Friend reapplied in Jan for JB. Reply from DSP received recently saying JB has been refused. Reason given is that a substantial loss of earnings/days has not occurred, ie over the last 6 months or so employment has been consistent at 3 days per week and no JB will be paid for the days not worked.

Does anyone understand the logic of this?

In order to requalify for jsb you have to have paid 13 "a" cons from day 156 of jsb claim and also have had to sustained substantial loss of employment eg. days reduced from 3 days per week to 2 days per week. Your friend can apply for jobseekers allowance casual which is a means tested payment.

thanks for replies. Unfortunately my friend cannot find better employment and would actually get more in JB or JA if wasn't working any days at all. Obviously he needs a better paid job.

Back