Working in "Norn Ireland"

morpheus

Im from republic, temporarily working up in belfast. My company is handing out €160 per day in expenses, apparently this 160 a day will be paid in full and tax free on top of my regular wages because i am working across the border.

If thats the case i stand to earn €9,000 on top of my regular wages over 12 weeks working up here?

Is this legal?

Once it's being paid as expenses, then yes, it's legal, and exempt from income tax. €160 is a pretty generous per diem by some standards, but probably pales into insignificance by comparison with, for instance, TD's travel expenses... ;)

Excellent! Per Diem eh?

wasnt sure if they were being generous ni comparison with other companies.

I opted to commute, so out of 800 per week, i spend 80 on train fares (up and back every day for the week) and about 30 on food. so im pocketing 690 after expenses.

I think that works out at a saving of €8280 for the contract period?! Nice deposit money towards a mortgage.

Would you not be required to declare the "profit" on a self - assessment form to the Irish Revenue (not NI Revenue since you're not resident there)?

zoe said:
Would you not be required to declare the "profit" on a self - assessment form to the Irish Revenue (not NI Revenue since you're not resident there)?

not sure,

confirmed that it is being paid alongside my regular salary as expenses.

zoe said:

Wonder how many of the aforementioned TD's declare this "profit"? :rolleyes:

Back