Working in NI, living in ROI

CKT

Hi,Can anyone inform me of my entitlements?
I am working in NI and travelling home everyday to ROI, can I get dentist and doctor in NI?

I have tried to register with a doctor close to my home, live in border town, but they said I have to register with doc in Belfast, where I work, is this correct

CKT, presumably you are paying National Insurance Contributions ? which would entitle you to health care under the NHS. On the other hand you are resident in the Republic so what is wrong with having two doctors, one in NI and another over here? The same with the dentist. If you live in a border town why not register with a doctor near you but in NI. The treatment will be free but you will have to pay some amount for prescriptions, when I lived in UK it was £6.50 but I guess it will have gone well past that figure now. Surely that would solve your problem. Just use a dr. in Republic only in an emergency as you will have to pay him.

I guess I may well be missing some vital bit of information here but that's as I see it. Your employer might well be able to give you more information as I'm sure there will be other people in the same position.

Thanks Swallows,

Yes I am paying NI, when I tried to register with a doctor close to me they said I need to register with a doc close to work, which will be 50 miles away from my home, which doesnt make sense.

Hi,

I am living in NI. As far as I know you can only register with a doctor near where you live...as they cater for patients who live say in a 10 mile radius (I think each practice has a certain hinterland that they will take patients from). I would prefer to register with a dr near work as travelling 20 miles home in the middle of the day is a pain....as I can't always get appointments early in the morning or late in the evening.

don't know what your happens when you live in ROI though...

Janeom

Usually in Northern Ireland patients register with a GP close to where they live, not where they work. I think the prescription charge is still £6.50. If Stormont gets running properly it's a possibility that the prescription charge may be done away with as the Welsh assembly has done away with prescription charges.

Back