working in co for less than 2 years, compulsory redundancy, min notice?

P

peelaaa

Hi, The company I work at is cutting jobs and given compulsory redundancy.
What is the minimum notice they can give? I have been working there less than 2 years,
thanks

Re: redundancy

Losing your job - entitlements
Minimum period of notice

The amount of notice you are entitled to by law will depend on how long you have been working for your employer.

Duration of employment Minimum Notice
13 weeks to 2 years 1 week
2 years to 5 years 2 weeks
5 years to 10 years 4 weeks
10 years to 15 years 6 weeks
15 years or more 8 weeks

While the notice entitlements under your contract of employment can exceed the minimim periods above, any provision for notice in your contract for less then the above is invalid.

Can you be made redundant from a company if you have worked there less than 2 years. I heard a rumour that if you have worked in the company less than 2 years they cannot make you redundant and have to offer you another position in the same company.
Is that true?

No. In fact being there less than a year means that you have practically no job security (other than perhaps unfair dismissal protection).

Can you be made redundant from a company if you have worked there less than 2 years. I heard a rumour that if you have worked in the company less than 2 years they cannot make you redundant and have to offer you another position in the same company.
Is that true?

If you work there less than two years you cannot claim statutory redundancy payments, but you can still be made redundant (subject to usual anti-discrimination provisions if working there less than a year). As with all redundancies (regardless of length of service), a company must use reasonable efforts to redeploy staff subject to redundancy - such as offering them another position if they are suitable for it.

Sprite

Well it looks likes I'm a prime candidate then. TV3 aren't exactly known for splashing the cash.

Back