Working In Australia - Visa Query

BobbyFowler

It looks like the future Mrs Fowler's job could be taking her to Australia this time next year. We'll be married at that stage & are both in our 30's. Without having gone into huge detail on the potential move, what are the visa implications with relation to myself? I remember a friend mentioning that there was some kind of a cut off age after which it's pretty hard to get a working visa. Does the fact that we'll be married take that issue out? Obviously I'll start researching in time but if anyone's got some quick fire answers, that would be great. We'd be going away for at least 3 years.

Have you tried the Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship [broken link removed]?

You'll be fine.
Assuming your wife\partner will be getting a work visa through her job, you will be able to apply for a work visa as her partner - its very straightforward, when she fills out her application forms she lists you as her husband (or partner if you're not married at that stage). You may have to provide proof of your relationship i.e. if married, the marriage cert and if not married proof that you've been in a relationship ( bills in both your names etc).

the age thing only matters if you're applying for australian residency - its a points system and you get less points as you get older (there's a 5 point difference between under-30's and 30-35 year olds). This doesn't seem to apply to your situation as it appears to be a work transfer.

Your case seems fairly straightforward as per the advice above, however I learned the hard way that it was always better to use an immigration consultant when dealing with DIMA (Dept of Immigration & Multicultural Affairs) in Australia. Let me now if you need a recommendation for a company.

Bobby,
You're laughing. As a partner of someone getting sponsored you're entitled to jump on her visa and work in whatever area you want to in Australia. Your partner however must work for that one saustralian ponsor and cannot move unless she is sponsored by another employer there.

Back