Working from Home

Hans

I have just registered a new business and intend working from a room at home is there any monetary advantage in this or could I be penalized for doing so. I also asked a question in another part of form (but as a first time user think I used wrong place) about a Vat query. I will be bringing in goods from England and sometimes getting them delivered directly to clients in Northern Ireland (as quite large) is there anyway I can avoid paying VAT on these other than regisering for English VAT as I believe can be complicated. Would really appreciate all the help I can get.

Don't know too much about working from home but can only tell you there might be some insurance implications. Do you have much office comtents etc. Not covered under you household policy, normally, although I believe some do carry an extension. You need to check this out. Also if people are calling to the house you need to query this.
You will be allowed alocate an element of you phone, electricity and heating bills to your business expenses.

I have just registered a new business and intend working from a room at home is there any monetary advantage in this or could I be penalized for doing so. I also asked a question in another part of form (but as a first time user think I used wrong place) about a Vat query. I will be bringing in goods from England and sometimes getting them delivered directly to clients in Northern Ireland (as quite large) is there anyway I can avoid paying VAT on these other than regisering for English VAT as I believe can be complicated. Would really appreciate all the help I can get.

Hi There,

As I know you wont get penalized working from home. Also there are advantages in relation to your expenses like utility bills that could be deducted against your profits. You cant claim all utility expenses , only some % of your expenses. You can call your local tax office and ask them for a % which is allowable.
In relation to UK VAT, you need to register for Irish VAT then upon giving your VAT no. to UK companies, they wont charge you UK VAT and same if you are delivering to companies in N. Ireland, ask them about thier VAT no and if they provide then you wont charge them VAT.
Hope I answered your question.

Thanks for that the only thing is I was charged VAT by english company who I buy goods from even though they have my VAT number because they were delivering goods for me direct to Northern Ireland company as goods too big to be delivered here to me in south and then transferred to North even though I am invoicing the company in North (hope that makes sense). I thought there might be a way out for me rather than regisering for an english VAT no.

Back