Working from Home - mileage for driving to Hd Office?

Formosa

If someone is to move out of the office (in Dublin), work from home (Kilkenny) & travel to the Dublin office say one day a week, can they be paid mileage for this, as the Kilkenny base is now effectively the office?

No mention of the tax aspects in the original query. Anyway I didn't think that there was any tax credit/allowance for travel to your normal place of work and by the sounds of it this would be both the home office and the head office even if the latter is only one day a week. As such I would imagine that any mileage paid would be a BIK and subject to the normal tax/PRSI deductions. Does your HR/payroll department not know the answer?

AFAIK from a tax point of view you are travelling from your home to your place of work. The company HQ cannot be described as a "temporary place of work". If you are based at home and travel to a customer site then this is allowable (no BIK).

When I used to work freelance (in another life) any mileage was calculated from the company's head office. It didn't matter if I was commuting to it or via it. All mileage to clients was calculated using the office as km 0

I work from home every day - South Dublin, even though my company's office is in D2. I choose to do this and would never expect to charge mileage if I feel inclined to go into the office or even if I have to go for a meeting. My take is that the company is doing me a big favour by allowing me to work from home. I suppose it depends on what you have agreed contractually. Personally I wouldn't rock my boat in case they haulled me into the office every day... btw, also depending on your contract you are entitled to 3.20e (wahoo!!) per day tax free to cover cost of lighting etc so whilst they're fiddling with your contract you might opt for this 832e or so per year to be taken from your salary and given as an expense instead so as it's tax free...check out [broken link removed]

We looked at the legislation on this recently, and came to the conclusion that Revenue are quite within their rights to disallow any untaxed mileage claim for an employee working from home to travel to their office. The basis for disallowing it, is that although the employees main base for work is his or her private home, this is purely a matter of convenience for the individual, and that their primary base is their employers place of work, with mileage calculated on the shorter of the distance travelled from the employers place of work or the employees place of residence.

Past30

Back