working for someone else at the same time

S

sgaynor

I am an employee for a not for profit organisation working 4 days a week. I have an opportunity to wotk for another company 4 days a year on my day off to provide generic training on legilation in the clinical research area. I approached my boss about it who says absolutely no way that it is a direct conflict of interest and the company compte with us. We are a charity promoting research and do not operate commerically so I can see no conflict of interest. Where do I stand on this as I really need the money on offer

I do not have a contract. Long story basically asked for changes which were never made and despite frequent e-mails asking for it have never received it. I pointed this out to my employer who says this is a separate issue and that common law prevails here

I may stand corrected here, but I believe you are entitled to terms and conditions of your employmnt in writing within two months of commencing employment, as set out in the terms of employment act 1994.

As for doing other work, it may be up to ypur employer, but I can't see any problem as long as it doesn't interfere with your present job.

Thanks ColinYes I know about the requirement to a contract and have pointed this out repeatedly to boss but he says this is a separate issue and that I cannot work for competing employer full stop

My contract specifically deals with this issue, if it is such a big concern to your employer then I fel he/she should have ensured it was in your contract and one was given to you.
It is hardly a seprate issue as whether you can do this job on not depends specifically on the terms of your contract.
What would have happened had you not chosen to mention it to your employer in the first instance?

I would insist on a contract at this point to ensure other issues do not come up in the future.

In the meantime having been told specifically by my boss that I should not do the other job I would be loathe to take it on.

Thanks for all the replies was onto the employment rights information unit in the dept of enterprise trade & employement this morning. Nothing legally stopping me do it. I do agree not a good idea if my boss says no but 1. I need the money. 2. He has no legal basis to make this request so I am going above his head and asking to meet with his boss to resolve

Back