Worked in UK for 5 years in the 80s but don't have National Insurance number

Rose11

Hi there
I wonder if anybody has this issue? My husband worked in the UK for a period of about 5 years in the 80s (though he is not 100% that he worked 3 years consistently) but he has no record of his National Insurance number. He filled out form CA5403 which is an online form you can fill up to get your number by post and posted it by registered post - getting to HMRC on Feb 7th. They promise you will have your number in 15 days - he is now waiting more than double that and when he tried phoning he was on for over an hour on a wait list before giving up. Just wondering if anybody else is inthe same boat, i.e. has used this form and actually got a reply?

Many thanks

Rose

They promise you will have your number in 15 days - he is now waiting more than double that and when he tried phoning he was on for over an hour on a wait list before giving up
From what others have posted; I gather there are huge backlogs. Definitely no stray payslip or p60 hanging around in a forgotten corner?

It might just be a question of putting the phone on speaker and get on with other jobs while you wait for an answer.

It might just be a question of putting the phone on speaker and get on with other jobs while you wait for an answer.
I don't think you need to worry. They are working through the pile of correspondence sequentially.

OP has clarity that it's been received by HMRC so they only thing to do is wait.

He can still apply before July to pay voluntary NICs....just attach a cover note saying "I can't remember my NI number, please find attached my form CA5403 received on 7 February".

I've checked the NI38 again and under special notes it says

Question 6

If you do not know your full National Insurance number, answer questions 1, 2 and 4 and tell us your last 3 UK addresses on a separate sheet.

So I'd go ahead with the CF83 & follow the above.

Back