Work conditions and Unions ..

E

Elk

Hi there,
I currently work for large US firm in Ireland. We have been told by HR that we ar enot unionised and we are not allowed to join a union. Is this legal?

Plus the work environment, lighting, air conditions, no windows etc. is terrible. Is there anything I can do about that?

Elk

Every individual has a constitutional right to join a union if they so wish. No employer can abrogate this right:

However there is no onus on an employer/company to negotiate with a union of which one or more employees are members.

Some of the other issues may fall under other categories of employment rights and/or health and safety directives.

If in doubt try contacting the DETE's employment rights section and they will probably be able to advise you:

www.entemp.ie/

Unions

Thanks for that some VERY userful information there..

Now please tell me what advantage is there in me joing a union? Im just wondering..

Thanks for all the help so far..

Elk

Hot and stuffy.

I worked in an office within an office. It had no proper ventilation, the office was about 8'x8', when the lighting,
computer and printer was on it became very hot and stuffy. In addition to that our computer server was placed on top of a cabinet with the rear of this monster about 2' away from the back of my head. The only protection I had was a piece of chipboard between me and the back of the server. I have often wondered if I could have been receiving radiation from the thing and if in the future it will do me any damage. Does anyone know of any safety guidelines/recommendations etc about backs of computer servers and the possible damage that they might cause.

Specifically in relation to potential health and safety issues at work this site might be of interest:

www.hsa.ie/

> Now please tell me what advantage is there in me joing a union? Im just wondering..

The ICTU site presumably has stuff on this:

www.ictu.ie/

Off the top of my head I guess that the following might be some of the benefits:

- Collective bargaining if your employer recognises and deals with the union.
- Stronger employee representation than if individuals bargain individually
- Other benefits such as discounted insurance premiums etc. (?)

Collective bargaining if your employer recognises and deals with the union.

Methinks that this is a big "IF". Sounds like this co. is determined not to negotiate with unions, so Elk, I wouldn't get your hopes up that joining a union will precipitae any advantages with these folks. Might start with a workers' council and see how you get on.

I was speaking in general terms and am aware that Elk already said that the job in this case was currently "non unionised".

Union didn't want to know.

When I worked in Dublin, my employer used to set yearly objectives for me. One of the silly objectives that I was set was, if I was first in the office in the morning I was not to step over the post and leave it for someone else to pick up but that I was to pick it up. Also that I was to read emails from Head office addressed to staff. Another one was I was to read our customer literature so that I could answer customers queries. I am in a union. I complained to my union of bullying but they did nothing for me. So I don't know if unions are all that helpful.

Back