Wording in will

Earl Grey

My first time poster, bear with me,
Made a will 27 years ago in solictor's office, my two sisters are Trustees. Witness signed by two solicitors. l am unmarried, l made in a Will leaving my estate sharing to my siblings, nephews and nieces. It is a standard Will.
After reading in askaboutmoney, Wills, inheritances and gifts, l looked up my Will again to make sure if the wording in the Will are clear. In one of the paragraphs I am not sure what the wording meant, is that normal wording in Will !. It sound like if my trustees are not doing the job, the solicitor is doing the job !

In one paragraph.... ANY of my trustees who is engaged in a profession shall be entitled to be paid fees for work done by him or his firm on the same basis as if he were not one of my trustees but employed to act on behalf of my trustees.

It's perfectly normal. Your Trustees may choose to appoint another Trustee and hand over everything to that Trustee.

I have any number of clients who find the idea of being an executor, never mind a Trustee, overwhelming.

mf

My reading of that is that your trustees are entitled to be paid for any professional work they do in managing the trust in the same way as if that work were passed to a third party. So if there is legal work needed, and one of the trustees is a lawyer and does that work, they are entitled to payment for it. Or if the trust's accounts needed checking, and one of the trustees was an accountant, they would be able to charge fees for that work.

Back