word files: 'requesting virus scan'

Caveat

Hi

Not sure if this has come up before

Tried googling for solution to this and got a few suggestions (AV conflict mainly) but none worked. I see the message coming up bottom left every time I try to open my own word files - seems to add about 7 seconds to the opening time. It's not a huge problem just annoying.

Anyone know how I can disable this?

Maybe your virus scanner is simply configured to scan Word or all docs on access or something? It's not a bad idea to do this since Word docs can carry viruses (e.g. in macros etc.) and just because they're "yours" doesn't mean that the cannot get infected through some means or other...

No, already checked, scanner not configured this way - from the google results on this it appears the question is unresolved amongst IT sites also...

but OK maybe you're right - best to leave as is to be safe

thanks

What AV are you using? Not sure how you are searching. But when I do a search, it does seem to be a common setting in AV packages. Its not a Word setting. You can turn if off in your AV package usually.

Using Norton. Have tried disabling office plug-in through 'options' but still the same.

When searching in google saw a few suggestions but none worked for me (and it seems others judging by a few forums). Most common suggestions were 'conflict with other AV' and 'disable office plug-in ' in Norton

Anyone using Norton who can maybe replicate what I'm talking about?

Well I'm not surprised you are having a problem with Norton worst heap of rubbish I've ever seen installed on a computer.
Whats happening is you've tried 'disable office plug-in' but Norton is ignoring it. Perhaps try this...

http://www.ureader.com/message/1222716.aspx

regsvr32 /u "c:\program files\norton antivirus\officeav.dll"

Paths might be different depending what version you have installed it.

OK thanks will try later.

But is Norton really that bad?

Fair enough, It's not the first time I've heard that about them but had the impression that it's a 'techie' view? To the 'average joe' user whose only usual concern is not getting viruses/worms is it that bad?

I would have thought that there at least some advantages to going with a major name like Norton (e.g. rapid response to new threats)

or maybe I just haven't a clue...?

My own experience is that is makes a system incredibly slow, and theres always lots of minor problems, and often major problems on system with it installed. In fact when I get a machine to fix is its usually the first thing I check for and uninstall. I'm not interested in working on a computer with it installed. By all accounts its a good AV scanner, with good detections rates, but any good in that, is outweighed by the problems it causes. Personally My personal experience is that Norton to be not a great AV scanner I almost always find nasties on machines I've unstalled Norton from and used something else. TBH I'm puzzled at why its AV scanner is so highly rated. IMO Norton in far more complex than the alternatives, especially for a noice user. So I don't see any advantages in it at all. Systemworks is even slower!

This Gizmo Richards article is a useful read in this context:

[broken link removed]

There again Norton scores highly yet in the real world most people who fix, maintain, support PC's hate it. AVG only scores average, and also because the freeware version doesn't detect malware etc. yet in the realworld you'd use it with another free product like Spybot, SpyBlaster etc which does this for you.

I find if a AV solution is too complex, requires a renewal to update, most people eventually ignore it or don't update it. Which is why you often see very out of date Norton AV on peoples PC's, which probably explains why when you then scan the machine with another AV scanner Norton has missed stuff.

I'm going to fix a machine for someone later this evening that has odd connection problems to a WiFi router. Its got Norton on it.

I do agree with the comments
The key to prevention is the use of good personal security practices combined with the use of a sandbox for surfing, opening email attachments and installing any unknown programs. This approach is fleshed out in more detail here:
[broken link removed]

With a little bit of sense you can avoid a lot of nasty stuff. My approach to that is where possible give people limited user accounts (on XP) and put a password on the admin account.

I had the same problem a couple of years ago when i had Norton AV installed. took about 15 secs for a word doc to open. Got rid of Norton and had no further problems

AVG only scores average, and also because the freeware version doesn't detect malware etc. yet in the realworld you'd use it with another free product like Spybot, SpyBlaster etc which does this for you.
Grisoft also offer a free [broken link removed] product. I'm running both, but I'll also hold on to Spybot for [broken link removed]. :)

when I had this problem with AVG free I used this command to fix it and have had no problems since

Start->Run menu: regsvr32.exe /u avgoff2k.dll

Back