Woodworm

OhPinchy

I'm currently doing extensive renovations on my house and am ready to slab the ceilings with new plasterboard. I have noticed some woodworm in the joists in a few places. Is there anyway of telling if these are recent or old infestations?

I got a tin of Woodtreat and started painting it onto some of the joists from the attic down – handier cos theres less of it dripping on you. I was wearing a filtered mask but even still the fumes of it really got to me, so much so that I nearly spewed. I know the attic isn’t well ventilated but even when I used it in a well ventilated area it was still overpowering. Does anyone know of anything I can wear or use to reduce the fumes?

This has kinda made me want to cut a corner on this and only treat the areas that are affected as opposed to all timbers. I plan to be in the house for 5 years and then sell it – would it be really foolish not to treat it all now?

Thanks

My advice treat the problem as soon as possible as if you don't it may halt the sale of your house further down the road if discovered.
Your local too hire shop should have some good masks that should block out the fumes failing that then maybe the shop where you bought the product sells a less toxic product.

Good Luck ;)

Back