Wooden Floors - Indent marks from boots

N

NJ10

We have semi solid floors in the sitting room and dining area. We had friends over at the weekend and one of the girls had boots on with narrow heels (we didn't see them as she had jeans on) that left indent marks on the floor (like snooker cue tip marks). The marks are concentrated in one area.

Is there anything we can do to fix this ? We know that we can't just take up some of the boards. Somebody mentioned filler bit it would be very difficult to get it to the same colour of texture as before.

Any ideas ?

:( :( :(

Has anyone ever heard of Deco Step Laminate Flooring and if so can you let me know where sells it?

Depending on where you are in the country [broken link removed] seems to stock it, from google

Thanks Stobear, I did a search on google but couldn't seem to find anything. Thanks a lot.

NJ10 said:
one of the girls had boots on with narrow heels (we didn't see them as she had jeans on)

Purely out of curiousity, if you had seen them would you have made her take them off?

I know the question was not directed at me, but in answer .. Yes, I would make the women take their high heeled boots off. To be fair, I think once you explain why, there should not be a problem asking them to remove the high heels

We also have wooden floors & I am only too aware of the risks, no fun at all (although thankfully, I know a very good guy when it comes to wooden floors ;))

Cheers

G>

The only way to get rid of these marks is to hire a drum sander and sand the whole floor area back until you are happy it is perfect. Then stain and varnish floor to the desired finish.

NB. If you have'nt done this work before, get a professional!!!

Best of luck with it

S

If you search with google for "removing dents in wood" a number of sites recommend using steam. A heavy damp cloth and an iron are used to help the crushed wooden fibres expand again. This is probably only to be used if there is solid wood. You could always try in a small area if you don't find any other solutions. This probably shouldn't be tried if it is a laminate but I am not sure how much wood is in a semi-solid floor.

Semi Solid normally between 5 and 10mm of solid wood bonded to plywood.

Sounds like a handy tip though I say ban the boots!

Are the floors new?, sounds like they are, and that they are softwood, like pine or deal. If this is the case, you should consider not repairing the floors, or even getting her back to evenly distribute the marks. The first marks on a floor always look the worst, the more worn the floor gets, the less you will see these marks. There are only a given number of sandings in a floor, as each time you hit it, you lose a few mls. If your house is very modern & swish, then maybe a floor with pockmarks is not ideal, but if your house is older, the marks will not seem out of place.

NJ10 said:
one of the girls had boots on with narrow heels (we didn't see them as she had jeans on)

In Switzerland and Sweden you would never ever enter a house without taking your shoes off.

I think we'll see this more and more in ireland now that wooden floors are increasingly popular. That said, my mum commented on how a swiss friend of mine was rude because he took his shoes off at home! So my parents have a bit to go.

NJ10 said:

And..................

Doodle said:
Purely out of curiousity, if you had seen them would you have made her take them off?

Seems like a good idea to me but how come you didn't see the jeans???

Garrettod said:
I know the question was not directed at me, but in answer .. Yes, I would make the women take their high heeled boots off. To be fair, I think once you explain why, there should not be a problem asking them to remove the high heels
And would you ask one of the guys to remove his high heels too?

Hi Rainyday
I dont have those type of men around at my place, so not a concern for me ;)

Cheers

Garrettod

Back