wood chip burners

superwoman

Just trying to sort plans for new house.Does anyone know if i need a room in house for burner.How much does it cost.Any recommended suppliers.

thanks
superwoman

Just trying to sort plans for new house.Does anyone know if i need a room in house for burner.How much does it cost.Any recommended suppliers.

thanks
superwoman
My friend has just taken over the franchise for Kildare for Kedco wood pellet burners. If you are interested in getting some information PM me for his details. Even if you are not in Kildare, he can put you in touch with your local rep.

AFAIK, they are normally stored in a purpose built shed. He gave me a ball park figure of about 8-9k with a €4200 grant available. That price includes the shed/burner & installation.

Hi TOSullivan

Why not post the name here so that all AAM readers can benefit from shared information?

Marion

Hi TOSullivan

Why not post the name here so that all AAM readers can benefit from shared information?

Marion
Marion, his name is John Reddy (Kilcock) and his number is 086 8119604. He can supply to Kildare County at the moment but is able to pass on details even if the customer is outside Kildare. Business email to follow shortly. Maybe a sticky thread with a list of contacts might be a good idea.

Tom

edited later:
email is [email protected]

cheers thanks for that.

What would you think of putting an area on the plans of the house?

really worried about attracting rats?
how big does the shed have to be?
I`m in the kilkenny area still at planning stage unfortunately.

rats are going to be a problem regardless of whether you have a shed built for a wood pellet burner or not. I live in a housing estate and I had a rat under my shed which I just use for storage.

He mentioned that you can get purpose built sheds that will house the burner & hopper, so that might be the way to go. You could always get a shed built like my neighbour did, which is about 10ft x 18ft, but it is also used for other storage. I think he mentioned with hopper you would be looking at 3ft wide x 7ft long by 6-7ft high, but I could be wrong.

The size of shed you are talking about will not need planning permission, but best get it on the plans now as then you will have a greater area for exempt PP in the future if you wish to extend.

Has anyone got any ballpark figures for the running costs of these boilers ie. fuel and service. How does it compare to the cost of oil for instance?

Have finally made a decision after long deliberation to install a BAXI multiheat 15kw Pellet boiler in our renovated home.....wondering if anyone out there has come accross this model or installed it......
Regards,

FifiB

Has anyone got any ballpark figures for the running costs of these boilers ie. fuel and service. How does it compare to the cost of oil for instance?
annual service same as an oil burner and figures quoting at least 30% savings on running costs

I'm getting the impression that at the moment wood chip/pellet stoves are not yet practical in Ireland and defintely not economical. Is that a fair assessment.

Thanks

I'm thinking the same I had a look at the SEI website and Gas and wood pellet burners cost the same per Kw generated...having said that the gas prices were from July.

I'm getting the impression that at the moment wood chip/pellet stoves are not yet practical in Ireland and defintely not economical. Is that a fair assessment.

Thanks

Yes it sorta shakes my confidence level in the whole wood pellet thing. The market is being flooded with wood pellet boilers right now & the pellet prices are being kept at about €165 a ton or so. As soon as the uptake on boilers grows, what is to stop the pellet suppliers (only one or two in the country at the moment) from then hiking up the prices. The boilers will be costly pieces of kit to rip out for the then latest & greatest heating method.

...my 2c

Marion, his name is John Reddy (Kilcock) and his number is 086 8119604. He can supply to Kildare County at the moment but is able to pass on details even if the customer is outside Kildare. Business email to follow shortly. Maybe a sticky thread with a list of contacts might be a good idea.

Tom

edited later:
email is [email protected]

I have been looking up information on wood pellet boilers and the Kedco boiler you mention seems to be an OPOP Comfort boiler in disguise? The following blog site has a post about it: http://wood-pellet-ireland.blogspot.com/ They both look identical to me, except for colour and logo.

what is to stop the pellet suppliers (only one or two in the country at the moment) from then hiking up the prices.

Competition?

Surely more pellet suppliers will come on stream as the market grows.

The real scandal at the moment (according to the blog) is how the SEI grant has pushed up prices, and is profiting the suppliers and installers more than the consumers.

Now where have we seen that before?

FifiB - we are also thinking of the Baxi - again, after much humming and hawing... we started looking at pellet boilers about 3 years ago!!! Basically we are loathe to pay 10 grand for a fancy shmancy Austrian one, much and all as they do look great. Baxi is a good name in boilers in general, and Heatmerchants is an established company, not some shower jumping on the bandwagon. Hopefully will work out!!

When you are relying on suppliers you are at there mercy when it comes to fuel prices

other renewable fuels are the answer

Back