Witnesses to will?

M

MATTY

Hi - can the witnesses to a will be related, i.e. husband & wife? They are not related to the person making the will, beneficiaries or execuors.

Far better to get a professional to draft a will, DIY wills are dangerous. A solicitor charges a very low amount for this service.

Under certain laws, provisions must be made for spouses and children particularly as regards the home.

Best consult a professional in this area.

I asked my solicitor to draw up a will as it was sorted.

However on that day, i had signed the will with my solicitor with no witnessses present as it was late in the evening. Just him and myself in his office.

I was surprised afterwards to see my solicitor named as an executor to my will and then i saw my will as 'last will'. I queried this as he said it is a legal phrase.

Then i recalled from someone re need to have two witness at present to see me sign the will?

Any advice please and thanks.

I asked my solicitor to draw up a will as it was sorted.

However on that day, i had signed the will with my solicitor with no witnessses present as it was late in the evening. Just him and myself in his office.

I was surprised afterwards to see my solicitor named as an executor to my will and then i saw my will as 'last will'. I queried this as he said it is a legal phrase.

Then i recalled from someone re need to have two witness at present to see me sign the will?

Any advice please and thanks.

Have a look here.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/death/before_a_death/making_a_will.html

You signing of the will should have been witnessed by two witnesses.
Did you solicitor sign it at the time as a witness.
Where is your will now ? Does it only have one witness signature.

THe section about your soliticor being the executor. Was this in the will before you signed it ?

In any case, you can make a new will at any time and it automatically revokes the old one. If you are unhappy that the solicitor is the executor, insist that he redraft it and sign it again, in front of two witnesses.

My will now is at solicitor's office as i don't have a copy of it. I didn't see my solicitor signing the will in front of me as well.

Solicitor's name is the executor before i signed it. That wasn't my instructions. I wonder why?

I had checked with a friend of mine, whose girfriend is a solicitor. They said the same thing re two witnessess.

Back