Bank of Ireland With Bank of Ireland, you can accept the Appeals Panel decision and go to the Ombudsman

Brendan Burgess

Founder
In another thread, Banquo pointed out that the Appeals Panel had awarded the borrower an additional €5,000 compensation, which he got and still went to the Ombudsman where he got another €12,000.

I thought that this was a mistake, but apparently it is the practice of the Bank of Ireland. Whatever the Appeals Panel awards, they pay out automatically and do not make the payment in full and final settlement.

Brendan

I raised a query with UB regarding this and they are now saying (which is at odds with their documentation) that you can accept the additional compensation and still go to the FSPO? However the FSPO may not accept your case because you accepted the additional compensation. Does this make sense?

Ulster Bank is right and doing it in line with the Central Bank redress programme which makes sense. The offer is in full and final settlement of your claim. If you don't like the offer,then go to the Ombudsman, where you might get more or less.

BoI is an outlier and has gone beyond the requirements of the redress programme.

Brendan

Ok but if UB are saying that the FSPO will decide whether they take my case or not (in the event I accept the additional compensation), and we know the FSPO already accept such cases from BOI customers under what grounds could they refuse to take on a complaint?

Banquo

This is very simple.

Ulster Bank has made you an offer in full and final settlement. If you are not happy with it, reject it and go to the Ombudsman.

If you accept it, you cannot go to the Ombudsman or the Court. If you do, it will be thrown out at the start.

What BoI does is completely irrelevant.

Brendan

Write to the Ombudsman to get a reply to your precise circumstances!

I got this from the Ombudsman within a day of writing:

I will consider each of your queries in turn.

I note that you are seeking advice in respect of your mortgage loan account and have stated as follows;

“What are the time limits for bringing an Ombudsman case against the Bank ”

Please kindly note that you have six years to register a complaint with this office from the date of the Provider’s offer of redress and compensation.

“Is the Tracker Appeal decision the same as a ‘Final Response’ that you require before you will accept a complaint.”

The Provider’s offer of Redress and Compensation and the Appeals Panel’s Decision would be considered the Final Response for an impacted complaint. An impacted complaint is a complaint related to a mortgage account that has been deemed “impacted” under the Central Bank’s Tracker Mortgage Examination.

Hi Tom

Not sure what that adds to the current knowledge.

Just to clarify. If you get an Appeals Panel decision and reject it, that is considered by the Ombudsman as a Final Response.

If you accept it, the Ombudsman will not hear your complaint, unless it's from BoI.

Brendan

Hi

I had 6 months to decide whether to accept the offer from the UB appeals panel. The day before the 6 months were due to expire I was on a call with the UB panel and they told me I could still go to the FSPO even if I did accept the additional offer. ( Like BOI) I queried this with them as the paper work said different, they have now extended my deadline by a week to give them time to give me proper advice in writing.

Its important for me as I have a second case with them and I wanted to wait for their decision regarding compensation on that case before determining whether the joint amount ofcompensation is adequate or not. I could accept the offer on case 1, and go to the FSPO on case 2 but it might prejudice my case.

Hi Banquo

That's very interesting. But make sure you get it in writing first.

I think you should also put it in writing to UB that the time should be extended on 1) so you can see the outcome of 2).

UB is all over the place. The decisions of the Panel have been fairly well received. But I am not sure what the admin is like.

Brendan

Back