Wireless Transmitter - Mp3 player

BobbyFowler

Got one of these earlier. It works fine, but the reception it's playing over seems pretty poor. I've tried various frequencies but with the same problem each time. Is the fact I'm in Dublin and there's loads of station vying for frequency space the problem? I'm not looking for Dolby Surround Sound but something that I could listen too without noticing how poor it is would be good. Is there an ideal frequency?

Is the fact I'm in Dublin and there's loads of station vying for frequency space the problem?
Yup, you'll notice the quality improve if/when you travel further outside the city.
[Technically, you'll notice the ease of finding a frequency which works well improve as you get to less conjested airwaves, but kind of the same thing]

Little things, such as the location of the transmitter can make a noticable difference. One spot in the car can be much much better/worse than a spot a few inches away from it.

Try out as many locations for the transmitter as you can (the closer to the aeriel the better - not the stereo itself), keep playing with the different frequencies (someone may be able to suggest a few which work well in the Dublin area)...
You'll never get a perfect playback from an FM transmitter, but it can be fairly good with a little playing around.

Where did you get that gadget & what was the cost, and do you have details of it. Have been considering something on those lines for a while.

If possible, you could also try removing the aerial from your car. Your radio should still pick up the main stations but you'll find the airwaves a lot cleaner for using the FM transmitter.

@ BlueSpud, I picked up a bundle of a Griffin iTrip LCD + car charger for my iPod for just €24 from eBay - magicaldeals I think they're called. Although a thread on boards suggested that you can get generic FM transmitters for between €20-€25 from a walk-in shop.

Does your radio receive a stereo signal, I've found that with mono reception only it sounds pretty poor compared to normal radio.

I find that connecting to the cigarette lighter boosts the signal as opposed to battery. Also I use 107.9 as the frequency as it has less interference, although my transmitter will block out all radio stations.

Also fiddle around with the volume on your player and the radio, sometimes having the player up too loud causes distortion, or having the radio too loud gives more hissing.

The sound on mine is excellent, much like any radio station or a cd, with only a minor hiss when parked.

Here's the one I bought -

[broken link removed]

Used it over Xmas & it was the business. Think they were just teething problems at the start. Yep, Happy Enough!

Back