Wireless Router Setup

Cantona7

Have broadband in the house on an eircom link up using a netopia standard router. Kids now have a laptop they want to use via wireless. Boght a D link wirelsss router today and "tried" to set it up.!When it tries to access the internet the norton firewall blocks it but i permit the access however the darn thing will not connect and prompts he error message says that one of the following is a problem.. ethernet link / power / network connection are not working. The router seems to be ok.. as in all lights are on as required.

When i switch back to my normal router all is ok.nternet working fine,,

bad way to spend a saturday night!!!

any help would be great
C7

Did you configure the new modem to match the settings of the old modem? You can usually get to the modem settings by connecting to it using an ethernet cable and entering the address 192.168.1.1 in your web browser or telnet/terminal application.

Did you configure the new modem to match the settings of the old modem? You can usually get to the modem settings by connecting to it using an ethernet cable and entering the address 192.168.1.1 in your web browser or telnet/terminal application.

Good advice.

Just to add a comment to this - 192.168.1.1 is not the default for all wiress routers.

There are a number of lists on the Net of the default addresses e.g. here.

thanks extopia.. did that but no luck. still refusing to connect. error message that theres a modem problem.think it stime to get an expert in..patience is in short supply tonight!!

Is the new router a combined ADSL modem and wired/wireless router? Or are you using the new router with the original ADSL modem/router? If the latter then perhaps both are acting as DHCP servers when only one should be doing this? The problem is a bit tricky to diagnose remotely especially with no more detailed info (e.g. the current detailed configurations of the two devices).

the new router is a dlink wireless adsl router. i have disconnected the old router and attempting to connect the new wireless router to act as the overall router for the desktop and laptop.the new router just doesnt seem to be able to connect to the net despite running the config as recommended by extopia above. i.e it error message states that the modem cant be found. however when i reconnect my old router to the desktop it operates with no problems. im obv doing something stupid on configurating the wireless modem.

Back