Wireless router options?

Stevo2006

Hi all,

With my new laptop on the way i'm keen to make my broadband wireless to enable me to use the xbox 360 online while the other half can use the laptop around the house for example.

My broadband is through Digiweb (metro) and i'm wondering if anyone would recommend a wireless router to enable the above?

I want to make sure that the laptop can access the internet throughout the house (2.500 sq ft if it matters)

Thanks in advance.
Steekers.

Once again ... wireless broadband and wireless LAN access to a (wired or wireless) broadband connection are completely separate issues. The fact that your broadband may be delivered wirelessly to your premises is irrelevant to how you access this via a LAN. Any wireless LAN (802.11b/g/n etc.) router should do. Linksys are generally very reliable and easy to use. Bear in mind that each version of 802.11 has a stated theoretical range but this will also be subject to environmental conditions (e.g. other nearby wireless LANs and other causes of 2.4GHz interference - lots of existing threads on this - house layout/structure - e.g. thick walls etc.).

I have a netgear router, 240mbps, works spot on through our gaff. Bit of overkill on the speed but sure its future proof!!!

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone uses Eircom broadband router and how successful is it? For the past year, I've had Digiweb. It's ok, but I have to use my laptop in a certain position in my room, which is two rooms away from the router. It's also 22.99 a month whereas Eircom would be 15.00 a month. It's a hassle to change, but it would be worth it, if I felt confident about the router for a wireless connection. I'd have to pay Eircom 29.99 to connect, but overall I'd still save , because I'm on a package with them for landline calls.
I'd really appreciate advice or someone's experience.

Thank you,]

Tiich ( sorry for posting twice, wrong section first time)

I have a netgear router, 240mbps, works spot on through our gaff. Bit of overkill on the speed but sure its future proof!!!
Is the 240Mbps proprietary or standard? One way or another you will probably only benefit from the higher speed (than "regular" 802.11g 54Mbps - theoretical max!) if all wireless networking gear that you are using is compatible with whatever 240Mbps technology/standard used.

Yes - but 802.11n has not yet been standardised so any equipment out there is "pre-n" or using draft standards and thus the chances of incompatibilities especially between different vendors' equipment could be significant. This is how it's always been with stuff based on draft or incomplete standards. On the other hand some hardware will be firmware upgradeable to the officially standardised technology in the future.

Back