Wireless reception

car

Have a wireless G network in the house and use 2 newish laptops both using the intel chipset to connect. Both were happily connecting away at 54mpbs for the last few months. For some reason 1 of them is starting to drop connections or get a very weak signal. I have the other 1 beside it to test and it stays at 54mbps. The only thing thats changed is the one with issues had a automatic windows update right before the issues began. any ideas?

... my wireless connection drops some times. I found if I open the network connections and disable the connection and then enable it again on the laptop if fixes it...

also I was having a lot of problems for some time with NTL.. I sorted it out, but I don't think it's relevant for you as one of your laptops are working...

Doesn't make sense to me that it was working OK before and that problems subsequently arose which were fixed by the installation of new drivers.

I had a similar issues with my wireless card and updating the drivers solved the problem. I think that some of the MS updates/hotfixes cause problems.

After googling I found some tech forums and they all answered the same way that updating the drivers resolved. Yes, very strange that it had been working but marges note lends support to the windows update having caused the issue.
Id constantly got 56 or 48mps coverage but since the windows update it would vary from 56 to 1 to 12 mbps etc, but then stayed around the lower band (1-2-4) mbps which isnt good. All while the other laptop beside it remained at 56. Since updating the drivers from intels support site, I monitored for an hour last night, and it stayed constantly at the upper end (56-48mbps).
Thanks for the added note Marge.

Have to say that I've never experienced such problems with Windows Updates causing problems with WiFi performance myself having used a wide variety of computers and WiFi cards with various different chipsets.

Back