Wireless Query

BadSanta

I have eircom broadband (1mb) i generally use wireless and my laptop receives 56k of the 1mb. When I plug into the wire directly into the laptop i get the full 1mb. If I increase my broadband to 3mb would my wireless increase or stay at 56k?
Thank you.

I don't think an upgrade will help you. It sounds like the bottleneck is either your wireless router or wireless card. One or other must e extremely old to only get 56k

Thanks for reply Dubrov....
to put it in simple terms (very simple terms) the wirless router is the small box i got from eircom that has flashing green lights on the front?? If I was to buy one in PC world (i was looking at them last week) I noticed there was G+, gmimo and so on, do you know anything about them? the lad in pc world was set on selling me the most expensive one, so I said id let it and, come here for some good advise!

G MIMO is the wireless protocol and refers to the speed. I think it was B and now you can get N (draft).

Not 100% sure but a G modem might not be any use if your wireless card in your PC is only B standard.

Can you borrow a laptop and connect to your network - if you get better results it might indicate the limitation is with your PC ?

Or can you borrow another broadband modem - better results might indicate the modem is the limitation.

-pm

If your wireless card is a B type then you're limited to 11mbps. If its a G type you're limited to 54mbps.
As far as I can understand, you shouldnt be limited to 56k AT ALL. 56k is generally referred to dial up modem. it has nothing to do with broadband in that case.
if thats what you're using, it is unrelated to broadband and will not change at all if you upgrade to 3mbps broadband.
any chance you could tell us what is the model of the laptop you're using?

Thanks for all the replies, I feel a little stupid to say that it was not 56k I am receiving but actually 56mbps. But actually we on this topic, we have upgraded to 3mb broadband with eircom this week and I am still receiving the same 56mbps on the laptop and the home pc which is connected with a ethernet cable (i think is the right word) used say connected at 100mbps still says it even though we have upgraded to 3mb, does anyone know the reason/explanation to this. a friend of mine also has 3mb cinnected directly to pc and it says 100mbps. thanks.

The 56mbps on wireless & 100mbps on wired relates to the speed of your internal network - sounds normal. Your 3mbps Internet connection relates to the connection between your router & your Internet service provider. To test the speed of your Internet connection you could use a test site like http://www.speedtest.net/ - it should be pretty much the same whether you use wireless or wired.

Back