Wireless problem

Crunchie

I wonder can anyone help me with a wireless problem. I’m using a Belkin wireless modem/router and it works perfectly with 2 laptops allowing them access internet and email via wireless.

I also have a desktop running Windows 98 that I had connected to the router via a Belkin USB 10/100 Ethernet Adaptor. Again this works perfectly for internet access.

The problem occurred when I installed a Belkin wireless card in the desktop. It appears to work, it “sees” the router and network, shows the signal as “excellent” but won’t connect to the Internet or email. It just gives the standard “The Web site cannot be found” message. As soon as I physically plug the USB Ethernet Adaptor back in to the router it works again.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Crunchie said:
Any thoughts? Thanks.

Have you got a restriction by MAC address?

BTW besides "seeing" the wireless network, can it connect to it?
Are you prompted for a wep key?
jd

jdwex said:
Have you got a restriction by MAC address?

BTW besides "seeing" the wireless network, can it connect to it?
Are you prompted for a wep key?
jd

Thanks jd.

I'm connecting to it alright, it's asking for the wep key and accepting it. I'm not sure what you mean by "restriction by MAC address". Is this a setting I can alter?

This is caused by a duplicate name in the DHCP server (the desktop). With the Ethernet cable attached and the wireless card enabled try this on the desktop -

Start/Run.../cmd/"ipconfig /all"

This will display both network adapters -
"Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:"
"Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:"

Release the IP address of the "Local Area Connection" -
"ipconfig /release L*"
Obtain an IP address for the "Wireless Network Connection" -
"ipconfig /renew W*"

All should be right with the world.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried out Max’s suggestion and I was able to see the 2 connections. It showed the wireless as connection 0 and the wired as connection 1. I was able to release/renew the wired one no problem but the wireless one wouldn't renew and, unlike the wired one, was showing the IP address and default gateway as 0.0.0.0

I’m certain I’m logged onto the network, the PC asks for the WEP key and indicates it’s logged on.

I uninstalled the wireless card, loaded it in another PC and it worked first time. I've also compared all the settings and they are identical, When I reinstalled it in the first PC it was back to square one.

Has anyone any other thoughts? Thanks

Windows 98 :/
it has been a while.

1. Go to the Start menu, select Settings, then Control Panel.

2. Double-click the Network control panel.

Can you see the wirelesds card.
Is there an entry for tcp/ip and the wirelerss card?

Is it se t to use dhcp?

Hi Crunchie,

Could it be something as simple as just having to disable the ethernet connection? I think I had to do this when I went wireless.
Otherwise if you can't figure it out go to www.spywareinfo.com they have a forum also for PC troubleshooting and the guys are amazing, they can fix about anything, although it usually takes a couple of days to get a response as they're in such demand. They've totally helped me fix my computer when I got infected with a browser hijack, but as I've said they also help with normal PC problems. Good luck.

Back