Wireless or DSL broadband?

mainie

Hi,

I'm moving into a new house in a few weeks and am looking at different phone, and broadband packages. I don't think we'll really need a landline so was thinking of getting wireless but have heard some bad stories about it not being very good. Can anyone tell me if DSL has an advantage over wireless or vice versa? Can I not just use VOIP on the wireless?

It depends on what wireless broadband package/provider you are talking about and where you are located. If, for example, you mean Irish Broadband then based on several years experience with them I have noticed a progressive (regressive?) deterioration in quality of their service and customer support and we recently terminated our Breeze service agreement with them in work. My sister in law tried RipWave and it was slower than dial-up and I've heard many other negative reports about it too. I suppose you could be lucky with them but I personally would not recommend them to anybody any more. It's possible that the higher latencies (packet delays) on wireless broadband links compared to DSL might result in poorer VoIP line quality. I'm not sure but presume that there's lots of technical info about this sort of stuff on the web. Is cable broadband an option if you want to try foregoing a landline and use VoIP instead? Alternatively some providers are offering relatively competitive line rental plus broadband packages these days (e.g. Smart, BT etc.). Have you checked this thread?

Key Post: Broadband packages & availability - check here if shopping around

I'm moving to Maynooth. I don't think I can get Smart there but I can get BT, Eircom, Imagine and a few others. Whats cable broadband?

mainie said:
Whats cable broadband?

Basically in comes into your house using the cable TV. NTL provide it - I've had it for over two years without any problems. It also means you can dump the line rental from eircom and use VOIP for telephone calls.

Have a look at :

www.boards.ie

They have a good section on broadband.

Yeah, that sounds like a good option but I don't think its available in Maynooth. May look at going with BT or Imagine.
Thanks

Back