Wireless card - laptop

Megan

My daughter uses her laptop to connect to the internet. We have eircom broadband in the house. She has a wirless card in her laptop and over the last few days her connection is dropping. She took the card out and clean it and it work well for a day but is back to freezing the connection. Does she need a new card in her laptop? The laptop is 2 years old but is used every day.

Thanks Clubman. She will check those tonight. It seems strange as we can use another laptop and pc with no problem, that is why we thought it might be the card in my daughter's laptop.

Ah - if another computer is working OK while your daughter's is having problems then that might isolate the problem to her machine alright. Perhaps obtaining and installing the latest drivers for the network card might help just in case they got corrupted or otherwise changed recently? What make and model of card is it? Can you check in Device Manager (Start -> Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager... -> Network Adaptors) to see what driver is currently installed and if there is a more up to date or more suitable one available from the manufacturer?

Thanks for your replies. She checked the driver last night and she has the most updated driver. The laptop is only 18 months old and is a Toshiba. It is working ok at the moment.

It would be unusual for the card to start acting up unless it was damaged (e.g. dropped) or something. Not impossible though I suppose. Is it a USB or a PCMCIA/PC/Cardbus card or what? At least if it's one of these then replacing it shouldn't be expensive.

Back