Wireless Card gets no signal

hm2605

Hi All,

Had to reinstall a laptop (Lidl Targa model) with windows XP the other night and I'm having trouble getting a wireless signal since. Hope someone can tell me if I've missed something. I'm not too great on Windows, Mac's are my thing. At random it will say "wireless network available" but no signal when connected and will then drop the connection in less that 30 secs.

The PC had a lot of virus, spyware etc so I did a reinstall from the recovery disk. Keeping user settings. Virus and slowness issue is gone but wireless problems now, just to note even with the virus this machine used to join the network. Its a Realtek PCI wireless card (RTL8180) and I've reinstalled the driver and utility from the disk that came with the machine but still no signal.

It will show up "Wireless network available" - Enter WEP key and connect. Then it will say "Connected - No signal". I''ve tried this on two networks that other machines are fine on (another win laptop & my lovely Macbook :) plus this one before I reinstalled).

The PCI card has a flashing green light which stays on but the orange light keeps dropping, Not sure if this is a wireless card issue or the PCI port. Or if I've missed something in configuring this. As only happened since the reinstall I feel it has to be software related.

Just realized Service Pack 2 isn't installed. I'll do that later, in the meantime any advice would be great.
Thanks.
H

Back