Wines for a Wedding

Newbie!

Hi,

We're getting married next September and plan to buy our own wine for the reception. Ive just spotted a wine i like on offer in the north but am concerned as to how I should store it etc. The wines are a chilean Cabernet Sauvignon and a chardonnay.

thanks.

Last edited:
Re: Storing Wine for a long period

In a cold place. A garage or shed would be fine. The kitchen is the worst room in the house to store wine in.

Wine should be stored in a cool, dark room, with a consistent temperature, not an uninsulated room which might fluctuate a lot.

If the bottles have corks, they should be stored on its side, but I'm not so sure that it matters for only 9 months, which is not really long term for wine.

I store all my wine in my shed, its sheltered, damp free and dark most times.

I store all my wine in my shed, its sheltered, damn free and dark most times.

Thanks guys. I know 9months isnt very long but you do see on some cheaper wines (particularly M&S) that wines should be consumed within a year.

Appreciate the responses.

on a continuation from this, I've shortlisted the following wines to buy for our wedding. Does anyone rate the wines below or have any other recommendations? I personally like a cabernet for a red but not sure about the white. Someone who does know quite a bit about wine, told me today that in general newer chardonnays are very bitter and should be avoided.

Sainburys
Superquinn
ConchaY Toro Cabernet Sauvignon
ConchaY Toro (no white on offer)

Lindemans Bin 50 Shiraz
Lindemans Bin 65 Chardonnay
Rosemount Estate Shiraz Cabernet
Rosemount Estate Semillon Chardonnay

(Just gave the prices for comparative purposes but they havent pasted properly....the lower price is sterling in sainsburys, the higher in euro from Superquinn.)

Cheers, I'm defo going North this weekend !

Hmmm ... they're good everyday brands and you won't go too far wrong with those, if thats what your budget dictates. Most new wine drinkers prefer loads of fruit in their wine so most (red) Australian/Chilean in the brands you mention will do. I prefer French which are blends/mixtures and not as fruity and can be austere if you're used to New World wines.

Go with a big brand (as you have done) and you won't go too far wrong.

Ask your hotel re corkage as you may be taken aback to disocver they'll charge €5+ per bottle.

Someone who does know quite a bit about wine, told me today that in general newer chardonnays are very bitter and should be avoided.

I'd say it's more likely a case of oaked/unoaked - a lot of Chardonnays are oaked which gives a slightly earthy/woody/bitter taste - depending on your taste.

Can I make a suggestion? Yellowtail - available in sainsbury's and most of NI. They have chardonnay, sauvignon blanc, merlot, shiraz + possibly more. Great bottle of wine for the money.

There was an offer on in Asda at the weekend for loads of varieties red and whites for 3 bottles for £10.

Sauvignon Blanc may be more suitable than Chardonnay for a wedding.

Asda had the sort of wines you are looking for for less than 4euro a bottle before xmas. 3 for UKP. Same wines were just under 9euro in Dunnes in South.

A colleague of mine did a booze cruise trip to Frnace for their wedding wine. Bottle that cost €10 here cost €3-€4 there.

I was told once that red wines from South East Australia were superb. I've been buying them ever since and found them great. I don't drink white so I can't comment on that.

Cheers, I'm defo going North this weekend !

Hmmm ... they're good everyday brands and you won't go too far wrong with those, if thats what your budget dictates. Most new wine drinkers prefer loads of fruit in their wine so most (red) Australian/Chilean in the brands you mention will do. I prefer French which are blends/mixtures and not as fruity and can be austere if you're used to New World wines.

Go with a big brand (as you have done) and you won't go too far wrong.

Ask your hotel re corkage as you may be taken aback to disocver they'll charge €5+ per bottle.

First things first-

1. They are very mediocre wines- they'll be alright if you have people who are not into wine at your wedding- but they are hardly of the vintage variety. Have you contacted any local wine merchants who may be able to pick you up end of lines direct from vineyards? With your time frame this should be possible & you should get some really quality bottles.
  2. Shame on you or anyone who is prepared to do their business outside of this State- you obvioulsy have given no thought to your own job, or the jobs of your family, friends & neghbours. Any money removed from the state is financial disaster for our economy- we all have a community & social responsibility.
The above might be worded a little too strongly but I just get upset when I hear of people shopping in the North- it will really kill the country.

avoid rosemount - its regarded as a "cheap" wine.

Concho y Toro & lindemans are better, Conch y Toro would be my choice.

Shame on you or anyone who is prepared to do their business outside of this State- you obvioulsy have given no thought to your own job, or the jobs of your family, friends & neghbours. Any money removed from the state is financial disaster for our economy- we all have a community & social responsibility.
The above might be worded a little too strongly but I just get upset when I hear of people shopping in the North- it will really kill the country.

Even though i'm a retailer, I don't totally agree with this.

Wine add very little to the country except for the horendous tax imposed. Wine is not made in Ireland and as such it does not add to employment as much as a product made here.

If anyone is going up north, I'd say try & buy Irish when there and that way you can do your bit. Someday soon the bigger retailers down here will drop their prices to a reasonable level of difference between North & south.

..and I do practice what i preach, all Uk sourced products that are sold in my store are at a exchange of 1.10 since Christmas & it was 1.2 prior to christmas. .. and I'm busy thankfully!

Back