Windscreen washer not working on Golf

emily_moss

Hi

Just wondering if anyone can help me on this one. The back windscreen washer is not working - the wiper comes on but no water comes out. The front windsreen washer is working perfectly.

Any ideas?

Its a 02 Golf if that helps.

Is it making any noise when you press the button?
(ie is the motor running.)
is ther water in the tank?
is anything else not working?

check that the line from the windscreen bottle (water) has not come apart. This happens alot on VW's. Check from the engine bay back to the boot. you might find the problem is in the boot area and you might find a small puddle of water too.

Thanks for you replies.

Joeysully, yes I can hear the motor running and there is water in the tank as the front washers are working. I don't think anything else is not working.

Tallpaul, the nozzle is not blocked with dirt or mud.

RonanC, the line from the windscreen washer bottle has not come apart from the bottle - not sure about the connection in the boot. Where would I look to check this. I had a quick look and I couldn't find the line?

emily_moss said:
RonanC, the line from the windscreen washer bottle has not come apart from the bottle - not sure about the connection in the boot. Where would I look to check this. I had a quick look and I couldn't find the line?

as far as i can remember you have to remove the black plastic covering on the inside of the boot door itself. It is usually held on with clips that with a small bit of force can be pulled off.

Not sure if you found the root of the problem, but I had a similar issue in my Golf. I noticed that there was a leak in the interior of the back left hand corner of the car, between the back window and the back door on left hand side. There is a fabric seam in the corner in the interior and I could see a stain from the washer liquid on the upholstery. I brought my car back to the VW dealer I bought it from and they sorted it out. Mind you the washer worked fine despite the leak, just some water was leaking out. If you have a leak in the same place you will notice the discolouring on the interior of the car for definite as you say the back washer isn't working at all.

I'd recommend going back to the garage if you are still having issues.

Back