Windscreen Washer Fluid

lemeister

I currently use Holts washer fluid but find that it leaves streaks/blotches around the perimeter of the windscreen were the blades don't reach. Is there any windscreen washer fluid that doesn't leave these marks or what's the best fluid to use?

I have to same problem. I get a band of dirt down the right hand side of the windscreen. Best to wipe it off every couple of days if it annoys you.

Washing up liquid is grand and leaves a nice smell.

Washing up liquid is grand and leaves a nice smell.

Most washing up liquids are heavily salt based so I wouldn't recommend it. Using washing up liquid would be like regularly spraying sea water on your car :eek: ... not a good idea. It will end up damaging the paint work.

Have a look at this link: [broken link removed]

Most washing up liquids are heavily salt based so I wouldn't recommend it. Using washing up liquid would be like regularly spraying sea water on your car :eek: ... not a good idea. It will end up damaging the paint work.

Thanks for the tip

Really? How much washing up liquid do you use?

Honestly, a bit of common sense! A squirt of washing up liquid is enouch; you only need to break up the surface tension. So, how much salt is there, a small pinch at most in all that water? Hardly sea water salt levels, is it?

Use baby shampoo if you are worried, all you need is a bit of detergent in the water, that's all.

Washing up liquid apparently shortens the life of your wiper blades, makes the rubber weaker.

my wiper blades are on since October 2004, still work 100%, they're a good quality pair of Bosch ones.

A bit of cop on on the washing up liquid - talking about a spoon full or so, no need to get too alarmed. I also use it to wash the car, no problems so far - still looks fab (it's an 02 reg)

Another good idea is to lift the wiper blades and clean them from time to time.

I use a piece of kitchen paper. I also clean off any residue of dirt or grit where the blades park on the windscreen.

Screen wash is quite cheap. Even Halfords (usually expensive) are ok for this.

Does anyone know where you can get the window washer that has the smell you get when you just get ur new car and use the washers.

Perhaps those "Streaks or Blotches" on your windscreen are caused by the water rather than the Liquid you use. If you live in a part of the country eg the midlands where calcium levels are high - this is probably the greater part of your problem

Back