windows 10 ?

I have a fairly major problem since I upgraded...has anyone else had the same problem. I can't log on to my computer unless I'm logged on to wifi.....that is a ridiculous situation. I can't always be logged on to wifi. It's refusing to recognise my password unless I'm connected to wifi! So I can't get into my computer.

Of course I can. I've been doing it for years. When I open the local account. Everything is empty.

Really Ok...how do I do that? and can I still set up a new password because I need to have them protected from prying eyes

I'm still trying to talk to someone in Microsoft.....was on to someone...got nowhere....got on again but got cut off as internet connection was weak...now back to square one waiting to talk to someone. Have been on since I posted the message at 11:44. Am starting to loose my mind.

Set a password when you create the local account.

If your Microsoft account is an admin account it has access to all folders on the drive. You could copy the files you need from

c:\users\<microsoft account name>

to

c:\users\<local account name>

Alternatively you can copy your files using any of the following;
  • a usb stick
  • usb drive
  • a folder in the C: drive
  • to a writeable dvd/cd
i.e. copy the contents of c:\users\<microsoft account name> to a usb stick. Logout and login using the local account. Copy from the usb stick to c:\users\<local account name>

Hope that helps.

Thanks a million.....am getting nowhere with microsoft....they just can't seem to understand that the issue. I'll do what you say. Can I ask a stupid question. If I copy the files over will that mean there is a second copy on the computer...I have very little room left on the computer.

If I copy the files over will that mean there is a second copy on the computer...I have very little room left on the computer.

Yes, you will have two copies unless you delete the old files. I wouldn't delete any files unless I was absolutely sure I had a backup of them.

Instead, you could create more room on your computer by using the Disk Cleanup tool. Right click on the C: drive in My Computer, go to Properties. The Disk Cleanup tool should be there.

Try this.

Plug in the LAN cable and leave it plugged in.

In the Device Manager try un-installing the wifi network adaptor. It will probably be named Broadcom xxxx. Right click it select Uninstall.

I did this and got the connection working but it didn't last long.

I'm back to getting a connection manually using various settings, but I don't seem to be spending as much time getting connected recently; it's not ideal or permanent - maybe I'm closer to a solution(?), though it's proving to be elusive.

Also, I now have an added network number on my connection list (original number plus extra digit), it may well be due to my recent adjustments to Device Manager.

I'll see how it goes but thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the problem your having with an HP laptop when I moved from Windows 7 to 8. It was driver related. I resolved it by using a particular version of the wifi adapter driver and not updating it ever.

If you Google the adapter model you might find that other people are having the same problem or have resolved it.

Hi everyone,

Thanks everyone for the advice. I did what someone suggested. The original local account didn't work but thought if I set up another local account that there was a chance it might work. I did it last night after wasting two days waiting for Microsoft to sort out the problem. It worked...touch wood.

Back