Wills, how to go about making them?

T

terrysgirl33

Hi, we've been meaning to do this for a while, but we really really should make wills (my husband and I). How do we go about finding a solicitor? Where do we keep copies of the wills? While we could (probably) do it ourselves, I would be happier if a solicitor draws them up, they should be relatively straightforward, but as we own a house the value of the estate may be quite high, and we have one and a half children to provide for, so it has to be done properly! All advice welcome :) !!

[broken link removed] contains some useful information even if you don't use their services to draw up a will. There are lots of other sources of general information about wills available elsewhere online too - such as [broken link removed]. If you decide to go through a solicitor rather than a DIY job then it might be an idea to get recommendations from family, friends or colleagues. If you were happy with the solicitor who did conveyancing for you in the past then they may be able to assist. Check the charges applicable in advance. You can probably lodge copies of the will with a solicitor or for safe keeping with your bank.

Thanks Clubman, we were not very happy with the solicitor who did the conveyencing for the house (nothing too specific, just didn't feel they fought our corner with the builder when we had problems), will ask around.

Try apprising yourselves of the issues involved so that you are equipped to ask the right questions when it comes to dealing with drawing up a suitable will. Who knows - you may find that you can do it yourself after all once you do this.

You don't need a solicitor...yeh I know how many times do people say this about all sorts of things. However in the case of a will a solicitor may often be a distinct disadvantage.

You can simply write down in plain english what you want to happen and have it witnessed by two people who do not benefit from the will and keep it in a "safe place".

In the case of a dispute the courts always give a generous interpretation to a self made will while giving a very strict one to ones made by solicitors, so a comma out of place by a solicitor can be serious.

Solicitors also charge and have a nasty habit of making themselves executors thus cutting themselves in for more charges. If you start with a solicitor and want to make changes you'll have to keep going back.

Terrysgirl dont forget your favourite uncle in your will "Uncle Leatherarse" Ta my favourite niece :)

Really, mmclo- getting a solicitor to make a will is now a disadvantage? And I thought I'd heard it all....

You should definitely consider the tax implications of your will, particularly is you have substantial assets to pass on. Most of the large firms have specilist tax advisors that will normally meet people for a consultation (free).

Back