Will

apd

Hello,

Would anyone know roughly how much solicitors charge to draw up a will

Thanks.

If it's simple then perhaps you could [broken link removed]? I suspect that for straightforward wills the charges would be in the low hundreds of €s.

I would never recommend a DIY will, no matter how simple.

For a very simple will (husband and wife - all to each other) it would be as little as €50 plus V.A.T..

MOB said:
I would never recommend a DIY will, no matter how simple.

For a very simple will (husband and wife - all to each other) it would be as little as €50 plus V.A.T..
Why not, is there anything that would be missing from this?
I don't have a will but would like to get one done. Mine would be simple, leave everything to the missus (she reckons it's all hers now anyway ;))

Not wishing to sound too morbid but you should consider what happens if she dies before you, or if you are both involved in a fatal car crash?

I would charge similarly to MOB for making a simple will. In fact I charge between €50 to €65 for about 75% of the wills I make for clients. Generally I only charge more than that for a call out to someones home and that would be additional mileage only ( sadly not at civil service rates!) or for more complicated scenarios. On very rare occasions I recommend that tax planning be done before the will is made, especially for business clients with substantial assets or a family firm. In those cases their accountants advice may well be necessary. But for the normal price the client has a preliminary consultation, and a second one where necessary ( they need to think about issues arising from the first consultation), then the will is drafted, then they call to sign and I will either give them their original will or store it for them in my fire proof safe at no additional cost. It is really only on meeting the client and discussing their personal circumstances that one can tell what advice is necessary. Although a standard will may well suit an individual, it may not. Getting individualised targetted legal advice is always beneficial. Having seen the prices on that website quoted, it looks like many solicitors offices are better value for money.

Vanilla said:
Having seen the prices on that website quoted, it looks like many solicitors offices are better value for money.
Just to clarify I was not recommending wills.ie other than for their free simple will creation facility. Obviously the caveats mentioned by others about going the DIY route are valid.

Well, in the case of a married couple with no children they will automatically inherit the entire estate of a deceased spouse without ever making a will, so it is unnecessary. Where a married couple have children and not all of their assets are in joint names ( as joint tenants), then they should immediately make a will, but that kind of will should incorporate provisions for their children should they both die as per Allens advice above. So it is really in very limited circumstances that the standard free wills are useful.

Allen said:
.......or if you are both involved in a fatal car crash?
Didn't think of that scenario, she already has her own one. I suppose I should get myself down to my soicitors ASAP

If you are not married then there may be additional tax/inheritance issues to be considered.

no matter what the cost, it is cheaper inthe long run to have it done properly. if married, then the simplest form is to let everything to your spouse, with provison for whatever charitable bequests you deire; with a joint will letting everyting to children (if any) or to named persons if none and in the unsoftunate event of you bothe dying within a short perios as in an accident etc.

not having a will, and having any assets, csuses untold problems in the event of death.

Back