Will you go for a pint when restrictions are lifted?

The well educated among us know that you don't have to look to far to hear contrary viewpoints such as those expressed recently by the "uneducated" Professor McConkey and Dr De Gascun, never mind the recent article published in the Lancet which found that:

"People who have two doses of vaccine have a lower, but still appreciable risk, of becoming infected within the Delta variant." and also that

"Peak viral load is similar in the vaccinated and unvaccinated which may explain why they can readily pass on the virus in household and indoor settings.
Sorry, where's the contrarian view there? Vaccinated people have a lower risk of being infected....that's what we've been saying all along!

There's absolutely nothing new there, but perhaps you can now answer your earlier question:

Maybe you can explain to the simpletons, who aren't gifted with your intellect , why a vaccinated person infected with SARs COV2 , can legitimately enter a pub but a non infected unvaccinated person can't ?

The well educated among us know that you don't have to look to far to hear contrary viewpoints such as those expressed recently by the "uneducated" Professor McConkey and Dr De Gascun, never mind the recent article published in the Lancet which found that:

"People who have two doses of vaccine have a lower, but still appreciable risk, of becoming infected within the Delta variant." and also that

"Peak viral load is similar in the vaccinated and unvaccinated which may explain why they can readily pass on the virus in household and indoor settings.
Peak viral load is similar, but (a) vaccinated people are less likely to get infected and (b) less likely to have symptoms (so less coughing, sneezing etc) and (c) clear the virus from their system faster, so viral load after 7 days is far lower than unvaccinated.

Also, just because the viral load was the same, the test did not establish the infectiousness of the viral load.

In fact, the study that sparked the news reports didn’t measure the number of viruses in someone directly but relied on so-called Ct scores, a measure of viral RNA. However, this RNA can derive from viruses destroyed by the immune system. “You can measure the RNA but it’s rendered useless,” says Timothy Peto at the University of Oxford.

Read more: https://www.newscientist.com/articl...d-covid-19-if-youre-vaccinated/#ixzz7CfimtfQI

Do you have a fool proof, practical, and affordable method of testing people to that .nl in mind that Denmark's testing of 8% of the entire population on a daily basis wasn't able to achieve it.
Denmark didn't test 8percent daily ,that was their capability. Their system did work they were open for 6 months longer than us that's fully open with rates much the same..you needed a negative test within days to enter a bar ,restaurant etc not a vaccination cert.Case in point they removed this need and numbers went up to where they are today around 7000 up 3000 daily in month ish. They have now gone back to their original system and I believe will knock numbers back quickly variant or not. Unlike Ireland they are not letting vaccinated or the unvaccinated pass it around .Also unlike Ireland their daily figure is truer and more real because they are testing simple as.Pushing antigen tests even aldi ones is way forward stopping it as quick as possible and not trying blame few unvaccinated for spread which is untrue

Will be interesting to see how the government responds to this...
Recommendations, included in a letter from Chief Medical Officer Tony Holohan to Health Minister Stephen Donnelly, include a 5pm closing time for pubs and restaurants.

Reading some of the comments on that link made me think that some peoples priorities are a little warped and there seems to be a total lack of understanding of what a pandemic is.

I'm not trying to mitigate the effects on businesses and employment or the economic effects, as we've seen those already, but saying that they took the vaccines and they should be able to carry on with their lives regardless of what is going on is hard to understand/ accept.

I love my pint and the time I spend having them, but I value the health of my fellow citizens more.

On a positive note, a virologist from Queens in Belfast said earlier that initial evidence from South Africa is indicating they have reached a " peak " and roughly Omicron seems to cause 50% of hospitalizations of the Delta variant, but are still increasing.

I just imagining a publican in say Ballymacarberry or a publican based half way between Castlegregory and Blennerville waking up to the possibility that they can only sell alcohol before 5.00pm in any day. Likely, before this they weren't selling any alcohol before 5.00pm anyway. There is no point in them even opening their doors or turning on their electricity if the 5.00pm "curfew" is applied. But, of course there'll be lock-ins.

I just imagining a publican in say Ballymacarberry or a publican based half way between Castlegregory and Blennerville waking up to the possibility that they can only sell alcohol before 5.00pm in any day. Likely, before this they weren't selling any alcohol before 5.00pm anyway. There is no point in them even opening their doors or turning on their electricity if the 5.00pm "curfew" is applied. But, of course there'll be lock-ins.
Yes, I can see that happening certainly on weekdays, though perhaps not on christmas eve and weekends.

I think there's an element to it which is anti "boozer" \ "wet pub" in that it seems to be intended to really just to support people having their lunchtime meals there? But then it doesn't favour those serving food at dinner \ after work time. I thought perhaps 7pm or 8pm to allow for that.

So I wonder if government will row back on it, or perhaps go with that later time.

It is tough on the business sector and I do think that 5pm is very early but perhaps a 8or 9 o clock closing time now will benefit everyone after Christmas

I hope they push back against the 5pm thing and just leave it as is (11:30pm is it?).
There appears to be some kick back growing among government back benchers.

There is more affected than just pubs..

theatres who were reduced to 50% capacity but who had already sold tickets for a full house decided to put on two shows a day to get around it. That will be ruled out now if the present recommendations are accepted.
Also, outdoor sporting events reduced to 5,000 spectators will impact the rugby provinces matches.. indeed even smaller events outdoors will have just 50% capacity.

Interesting to see how this plays out..

I hope they push back against the 5pm thing and just leave it as is (11:30pm is it?).
I think it would be a big mistake for the government to not push back on this, both for their political self-interest AND management of the pandemic.
I think last November as well, the government were bounced into a Level 5 when Level 3+ would have been sufficient, but wasn't given enough time to kick in.

One of the 'carrots' to getting the vaccine was access to hospitality. Ditto for boosters.

Now we have a situation where government are scrambling to restart booster in 5th gear & shutting down hospitality?

Boosters should have been where the battle was fought and it should have been #1 priority for weeks now, now days.

Michael Martin's comments about booster vaccine reluctance looks worse by the day.

Last edited:
There'll just be more house parties. This fussy restriction tinkering seems a bit like moving deckchairs re Omicron.

Reports that Cabinet have gone for 8pm closing... until January 30th.
Note that it's more than hosptality... seems to apply to all indoor events, so no gigs, concerts, performances, cinema etc?
Outdoor events capacity cut to 50%.

Chief Medical Officer Dr Tony Holohan has said the cabinet’s decision to close hospitality from 8pm was “a welcome acceptance of the intention of our advice”. Nphet’s recommendation for a 5pm curfew was part of a “series of recommendations” aimed at reducing the incidence rate, Dr Holohan said. “The key thing was to drive down, as much as possible, social contact. Contact is going to be a good deal greater in the evening time,” he added.

Last edited:
Quick off the mark...
YEevC6Pl.png

I went for a pint and tried to leave at 8pm just to test the concept.

Can't see this idea being part of the solution
It might not be the solution but it can only help . I would say that you tried hard to leave at 8pm though .....

I think it would be a big mistake for the government to not push back on this, both for their political self-interest AND management of the pandemic.
I think last November as well, the government were bounced into a Level 5 when Level 3+ would have been sufficient, but wasn't given enough time to kick in.

One of the 'carrots' to getting the vaccine was access to hospitality. Ditto for boosters.

Now we have a situation where government are scrambling to restart booster in 5th gear & shutting down hospitality?

Boosters should have been where the battle was fought and it should have been #1 priority for weeks now, now days.

Michael Martin's comments about booster vaccine reluctance looks worse by the day.
Exactly, then you have the open border with northern Ireland, we have completely diverged from them now, they all must think we have gone mad here. It's stuff like this that makes talk of a United Ireland a load of rubbish. The young will be flocking to Belfast now to party and will bring in the omicron anyway. You can go into a pharmacy and get free antigen tests there if you are worried about socializing. Why was this small measure not brought in instead of closing down hospitality yet again.
There will be big political push back as a result of this, it's a step too far. The government should have been cracking the whip with niac to get them to speed up their decision making or just ignored them completely and just went with the European guidelines

Back