Will you go for a pint when restrictions are lifted?

I see they discussing introducing vaccine passports now on prime time. I think it is unfair and discrimatory to bring in vaccine passports when the majority of young people will not be vaccinated. Afterall the whole hospitality industry was closed down a year ago not because of the danger to the young but to the old. The same logic could have been used then to keep the hospitality open exclusively for young people . Now that the older generation will be vaccinated this summer they want to throw the social solidarity and "we are all in this together" out the window because it suits them now.

I understand your point. I see this is more of a tool to get then anti-vaxxers onboard than reward those vaccinated.

I’d say there will be no decision made for a while though.
There has been massive rollout of vaccines in Israel followed by a spike in Covid cases (they have a “green pass” system there).

Same has happened in some US states, I think it’s Minnesota and Minneapolis. Huge rollout there followed by significant cases spikes.

The Israelis only introduced vaccine passports after they had vaccinated most of their population, they had a very fast program remember. We are talking about vaccine passports when we are now only vaccinating over 80s. The anti vax narrative is a red herring as there is a shortage of vaccines and a rat race to get them. Look at the hysteria of the teachers unions, this vaccine passport stuff is fuelling this queue jumping.

We are talking about vaccine passports when we are now only vaccinating over 80s.
But that's not true Joe.....in fact and according to the ECDC database we have given the 18-59 group 303,665 1st doses and 127,246 2nd doses.
The over 80s are 164,001 1st doses and 100,464 2nd doses.

Even the groups 60-79 have more first dose vaccines than the 80 plus group at 187,047 .

It's safe to say that we aren't only vaccinating 80plus.

I take it a good chunk of them were in the Healthcare sector.
I would say so it's difficult to reconcile as the original cohorts put up haven't changed. And those with illnesses , my daughter has a friend 21 who qualified and got her first dose 2 weeks ago.

Last edited:
Did they say they were being introduced immediately?
Nothing is happening immediately, I’d assume.

AFAIK these vaccine passports won’t be carte blanche. They’ll permit people to attend sports events, e.g. GAA matches.
Live music is being considered but is more complicated.

Are the GAA starting an over 70's League?
Exactly they are ignoring the elephant in the room that a majority of the population will still not be vaccinated. At least if they were going to float this they should also clarify how they will allow non vaccinated people attend these things. No mention of free antigen testing for the young, highly irresponsible and stupid. In any case what about the workers at these events , most are young and will be unvaccinated? It's really stupid

@Joe, if there is a proposal to introduce vaccine passports at a future date, then it is the vaccination status of the various cohorts at that date that is relevant and not what it is right now.

Reactions: Leo
@Joe, if there is a proposal to introduce vaccine passports at a future date, then it is the vaccination status of the various cohorts at that date that is relevant and not what it is right now.
The same questions will apply though. The people who do the service jobs and young and low paid. If older people want their lunches and coffees and hair-do's etc then it will be younger people serving them.

Back