Will this quitting method work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

galwaymadden

Okay I have tried and tried again to quit smoking. I was off them for 2 months now and had to have one last night so I had 3.

I have had bad experiences with alcohol and food before, example, I drank a full bottle of whiskey before and had to get my stomach pumped. Now I cant stand the smell of whiskey, brandy or anything like that. I would certainly get sick if I drank some.

On 2 separate occasions when eating a chicken burger I found a hair in it. Now there is no way I will ever eat a chicken burger again.

So my question is, or should I say my plan. . . . if I sit down and smoke a cigarette one after the other after the other until I get sick from them and keep going till I can no longer look at one.
Would this work to keep me off the smokes?

Has anyone else tried this?
Anyone got any good tips on how to quit?

If aversion therapy is your thing, try www.whyquit.com (not for the faint-hearted).

Personally I wouldn't recommend the course of action you're suggesting. You say you stopped smoking for two months, then "had to have one so I had three". After two months, your physical addiction to nicotine is gone. IMHO, the only way you will stay off them for good is if you want to be smoke-free more than you want — not "need" — to light up.

I'm nearly two years off them now, but the monkey still sits there waiting.

But you are possibly a nicotine addict, which I believe is physically more severe than heroin (unless that is one of those urban myths) so mind over matter as experienced by your whiskey and burger aversion may not in itself be sufficient, so don't beat yuorself up if it in itself fails. Have you looked at the Alan Carr method, you can get his book in most Libraries, as far as I know the participants smoke throughout the first part of the programme in a similar manner to your proposal.

I read the thread title and knew the answer was No. I didn't have to read any more.

Only you can kick the habit. You decide if you smoke or not. It's not easy to give up, I know, I have done it after 15 years smoking. Ten years later and I still miss them.

The critical thing is owning the decision. You cant ask something/someone to help. You decide to give up. If you actually decide to give up then it's all done and dusted, no issues.

If, on the other hand, you decide to rely on something to "help" you give up you have not decided to give up. You have decided to try to give up. Big difference. It wont work.

There was a good post on here about ecigarettes some time ago. Hubby got one an is still off them. Good luck!

i was a smoker for about 15 years. read the alan carr book and i found it brilliant. i quit smoking after i finished it and never looked at cigarettes the same way again. maybe worth giving it a try.

I went onto electronic cigarettes 2 months ago thats how I quit first.
I wasn't planning on giving up I just decided to try them and they worked.
E-cigs was not a long term option so I gave them up last week (I hear that Hong Kong have banned export of these so supplies around Uk and Ireland will run out soon)
I am fine when I am at work because I am kept busy its when I get home that I find it hard. I have managed to change routine a bit, like first thing in the morning and after meals etc.
I know that its all about will power and mind over matter.
I have my mother in town now looking for the Allen Carr book for me so i will give that a go too. If I can just change my attitude about smoking I'm sure I will quit no prob...but at the moment I miss the dirty smelly things :(

Where you ever out drinking for a night and you smoked so much that you couldn't possibly have another cigarette and swear you're not going to smoke again???

I used to do this all the time, always had a cigarette the next day though. With the other two things you mention i.e whiskey and chicken burger they both had a very severe effect on you mentally and that stays with you i.e the smell of whiskey now can bring back that sensation of having your stomach pumped. Cigarettes are different. If you have smoked too much you go in and wash your teeth, rinse your mouth and half an hour later sensation is gone!

So no, I don't think it would work. I'm off them about three years and would sell my own mother at times to get a cigarette but sure you get through it. You have the will power to do it - you're just weak at the moment. Set a date, stick to it - can't beat pure will power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back