will the builders cheque clear

dub1

I was in a situation a while back where I very luckily got out of a property contract(http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=94330&page=6). I had already put appliances etc in the property. The developer then rented this property out. After several months he agreed to pay me for my goods as they were still in the rented property. The total was approx €6200 but I agreed €5000 to finalise the matter. After weeks of then trying to get a cheque from him I was finally given a cheque yesterday(by the builders foreman as the builder is on holiday). It is a company cheque and only signed by one of the builders(the one thats not on holidays). as well as that he never filled in the amount line(five thousand euro only--but I suppose I can fill this in myself). The foreman told me that i should try lodge it and if the bank say anything then give it back to him and he will see what he can do. the builder is undoubatedly messing me around. is there a chance that this cheque might clear

Provided you do fill in the amount line and that the signature on the cheque is one of the signatories on the account, there is a good chance it will clear (forgot to mention the money needs to be in their account!).
Many company cheques provide space for two signatures, but only actually require one - in some cases there is a limit on the amount that a single person can sign for and spending above that needs two, but quite often that's for amounts much larger than 5k.
Personally, I'd lodge it and see what happens.

is the cheque crossed? if not, you could take it to the bank that it is issued from with your id and the bank should be able to cash it on the spot? at least you would know if it is worth lodging.

thaks for the reply. I'll give it a go and see what happens. At least if in the end I have to get my solicitor involved again I'm sure it'll stand to me that they have given me this cheque already

aasuming there is funds in place to meet the cheque, quite possible it will as banks do not check every cheque for technical reasons, €5k would possibly be under their checking limits

Back