Will Rent Supp be stopped?

N

Norma

Back in August, my partner and I moved house.

I decided that I'd put the Rent Supplement in my name, it was previously in my partners. So I filled out all the relevant forms and handed them up to my Community Welfare Officer, presuming that she knew that we moved because on the landlord's part of the form was the date we moved in.

Yet my partner's rent allowance was still being paid. So seeing as it was there, he collected it and we thought that once the payment in my name was processed the one in his would be stopped. Then last week, she called us and asked both of us to meet her, and questioned her about still drawing the rent supplement.

And she was basically saying, how was she meant to know we had moved etc., so I said because it was written on the form, the date we moved into the new house. Then she asked why was my name on the rent supplement now, and my reasoning for it was in case my partner and I ever split up, that I wouldn't have to wait ages getting this letter and that letter and filling out forms just to get it in my name. A good reason I think.

We were not trying to con them or be deceitful in anyway, it was just bad judgement on our side. I know there would be people out there who would do it, but we're not like that.

Then she expected us to have a letter from the local county council by the next morning, which is completely impossible because we don't have a car to go back there and it's around 30 miles away from us.

Is it not up to them to read the forms they get, and then stop rent supplement for a previous address? Also, I am really worried now about what the outcome will be, because we really cannot afford to have that stopped, we're struggling enough as it is. And I know how stupid and naive we seem so I would really appreciate if people didn't point that out.
Is there anything my partner and I can do, or should we just sit it out and wait for them to decide what they will do?
Any (genuine) advice is greatly appreciated.

It is the responsibility of the claimant to inform the CWO of any change in circumstances, including a change of address. That is part of the declaration you sign when you fill in an application form for SWA.

If your new rent supplement claim has not yet been processed, then it's likely that the money which your partner collected will be deducted from what you may be entitled to. If your new supplement is in payment, then an overpayment has occurred and you will have to pay it back. It can be paid in instalments, most likely from your ongoing rent supplement.

The requirement for a letter from the Co Council is because new regulations for Rent Supplement came in from July, which requires persons applying for Rent Supplement to have been assessed as having a housing need (or to be renting for 6 of the previous 12 months).

The council uses information supplied on the housing application form plus a visit of the applicant's current accommodation to decide if a housing need exists - if it does exist, then the person is added to the housing list.

Yes, the CWO does visit, but that is separate from the visit by the Local Authority.

The CWO visits for 2 reasons - to verify residence and to determine if the property is suitable for renting.

The Local Authority visit is to assess the accommodation and determine if the person has a housing need and is eligible to go onto the housing list.

Back