will my van be ok if i drive it for 8 hours...

Duffer

Hi all,

I am making a trip to london in my ford transit van from galway (it's a '05reg), i'm helping my mate move back to ireland.

My question is, after a 3 hour drive to dublin with a couple of hours stop on the boat, and then a 6-7 hour drive to london is this going to be really bad for the van, basically non-stop or quite normal ???

i've never done such a journey before :eek:

thanks....

Yeah, it should be no problem, I've done it a few times and had no problems, unless you know of a problem with your van already.

no pee no probs with the van that i know of only a small little oil leak, should be grand so !!!

what's the journey like ??

You should be grand in a transit. We killed a Cavalier doing that journey once though.:)

we have a huge Iveco van - 7 metres long. this van weighed in full to the max at Holyhead over 4 tonne ! it is 04 reg with 130,000 miles on the clock, travelled from London to Holyhead (5.5 hours) onto the ferry and then a couple of hours from Dublin to Midlands. took 3 tanks of fuel though pulling that weight. will be taking it over full again at Xmas, will then have empty van coming back in January but journey was no prob at all.

eh...it this not what vans/cars are for? I would think nothing of driving my car for as long as I might need to (10+ hours....obviously with 2nd driver)

I guess 'cos Ireland is small & few journeys will be more than 7 hours. On hols, I'd regualarly meet people who drive straight from other parts of the EU, often 12 to 20 hours, swapping drivers.

But, if you have an oil leak, it would be worth getting it checked out. The bung in the sump (I don't know what nether region of the brain I pulled that out of, so I hope it's correct) might be loose & could fall out - this would mean you engine would be gone! Definately get the oil leak checked before you go....happy driving

................ and then a 6-7 hour drive to london is this going to be really bad for the van, basically non-stop or quite normal ???

i've never done such a journey before :eek:....

Never mind the van, will you be alright ?

Plan a a couple of long breaks unless you want to arrive into London traffic dead beat

Back