Will is missing

fistophobia

My Father made a will, and I remember seeing it.
Now we cant find it, and it could have been any solicitor he dealt with.
Any ideas what we should do?

A few thoughts:

1. Is father still alive? If yes, he should make a new Will. If not.....
2. Do a thorough search of wherever he kept all his important papers. If that yields nothing then
3. Contact the last solicitor he had dealings with, that you know of, and enquire if they have his will. If that yields nothing then
4. Most people don't use a lot of solicitors over the course of their lifetime so contact those that you know of and make the same enquiry. If that yields nothing then
5. Advertise (newspapers/ Law Society Gazette) for any information. If that yields nothing then

Perhaps your father destroyed his Will?

If you are aware of what was in the last Will you are aware of and if it was an even split between usual suspects/ follows general intestacy situation, consider an application for a Grant of Administration Intestate.

mf

Also - and I accept this is unlikely, but if you know of anyone who was likely to have witnessed your father's will or who might have been asked to be the executor, then maybe ask them too.

Ask your own (or any local) Solicitor to contact the local Solicitors’ Bar Association. The Secretary of the Association will send out an email to all local member Solicitors asking whether they’re in possession of a will under the name of the deceased. That might throw up a result if any Solicitor is in possession of the will.

Back