Wife's bank account?

J

jackstack

Hi,

First time posting so feel free switch if I aint in the right place.

My wife is in hospital at the moment and will be for another 5-6 weeks. Her basic salary was being paid and topped up by social welfare. The basic salary has now ceased and will not recommence until she returns to work. She has an overdraft (1000) that BOI no want to clear. Since she did not respond (Her post was coming to our house, not the hospital), they sent me a letter as we have a separate joint account (which is in credit) demanding that we shut it within 21 days? When I rang to discuss this and to clarify my situation, I was told that these were standard letters and that it was as a result of my wifes overdraft. It turns out a repayment on a personal loan was returned from her account and her loan was now €88 in arrears. I explained my situation to the branch and they basically told me that they cannot discuss my wifes account and that unless I cleared her account up that they would proceed with terminating my account?

I am not in a position to fork out nearly €1100 however when my wife gets back to work in 3/4 months time, normal service will resume.

Can anyone offer any advice to me?

I am meeting with the branch in the morning. Could a signed letter from my wife (disclaimer for the bank if you like) give the bank the right to talk to me about her finances?

My wife hasn't been keeping anything from me here! I knew about the overdraft and the loan but didn't know the overdraft expiry date etc

Your best bet would be to just ask the bank what they need for you to be allowed deal with them with regard to your wife's account. It may be simply a letter from her or she needs to sign a form. I don't think it should be a big issue at all. I had someone deal with my account for me while I was abroad. Just had to send a letter to the branch. That was BOI as well.

Sunny,

Thanks for taking the time to get back to me.

What sort of fromat should the letter take in your opinion? A simple paragraph explaining the situation signed by herself?

I'm going to ask them for an overdraft of 1500 for 6 months just to weather the storm so to speak. I'll transfer funds across and clean up the arrears and terminate the overdraft on that account. I'll leave a few quid there to service the loan too.

Yeah, I simply told the bank that my I was allowing my sister to act on my behalf with the bank. As I say, check with them because this was a few years ago and things might have changed.

There's a form that your wife can sign to give you access to her a/c.
Your bank will provide you with this and hopefully be able to get this sorted for you.

Back